books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The Books That Changed My Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Reading has always been a safe place for me, a place where I can escape. This year I read some amazing books that changed my year. I read thirty-one books this year but there were only a few that really stood out to me. 

1. The Dead Romantics by Ashley Poston 

I absolutely loved this book. This is a book that became one of my favorite books just after reading a few chapters. I loved the plot and the characters so much. Ashley Poston does such an amazing job with her character development. This book made me laugh, cry, and swoon. If you’re ever in a reading slump, this is a great book to get you out of one! I definitely want to reread this book.

1. A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

I have read the first two books in this trilogy and I have loved them both so far! I love the characters and their relationships with each other and the plot of each book so much. The character development is so good. I am so excited to read the third book but sad at the same time because I don’t want the series to end. I love the relationship between Pip and Ravi, I think they’re one of my favorite duos out of any of the books that I’ve read.

1. Heartstopper by Alice Oseman 

As someone in the queer community, these books hit home. I felt like I could truly connect with and understand what these characters were going through. This series has become a comfort series to me because of how special the characters are and Alice Oseman does an amazing job of making queer people feel seen and heard. Heartstopper is a beautifully written series that shows what it’s like for a lot of queer people in the world today. I can’t wait for volume five to be released. 

1. Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

I love this duology! Leigh Bardugo is one of my favorite authors and I always fall in love with her characters. This duology has the found family trope, so while reading this book you start to feel like you’re part of such a close-knit group of friends. The characters in this book are witty and hilarious. I really enjoy Bardugo’s writing style and I love all of her books. Her Grishaverse is one of my favorite book universes to date.

Since I can’t talk about every single book I loved this year, here are some honorable mentions.

• I Kissed Shara Wheeler by Casey McQuiston 
  • People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry
  • Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
  • The Final Gambit by Jennifer Lynn Barnes 
  • Dial A for Aunties by Jesse Q. Sutanto 
  • Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid 
  • Every Summer After by Carley Fortune

I love reading so much and all of these books have such a special place in my heart. 

Katie Tuggle

Virginia Tech '25

Hi, my name is Katie and I'm a senior majoring in psychology. I love being around my friends and family, chasing sunsets, listening to music, and driving around. I am so happy to be a part of the Her Campus writing team because I feel like I have found a place where my voice gets heard. Her Campus allows me to tell my stories without being interrupted and it gives me a place to be my true self.