This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Last Saturday Ariana Grande released a surprise single that put the digital universe in a complete frenzy. As an avid Ariana Grande fan, and a sucker for female empowerment, “Thank you, Next” not only rocked my world, but reminded me that there is nothing more powerful than a woman with confidence. After a year of heartbreak, tribulation and tragedy, Ariana Grande has embodied nothing but strength, patience and resilience.

This song encourages women to put themselves first and be thankful for the lessons that past relationships teach. Whether you’re in a relationship, conquering heartbreak, or cruising through singlehood, this song is an absolute anthem.  

Two months ago, Ari released a much anticipated album called Sweetener. This powerhouse record includes the perfect combination of emotions, vocals, and rhythm; but, then again, we expected nothing less of Queen Ari.

A few weeks following Sweetener’s release, the world shook with sorrow after the unexpected passing of our sweet angel Mac Miller. Suffering the loss of an ex boyfriend and a best friend, Ariana Grande elegantly rejected the media’s negativity and carried herself with dignified grace. About a month after Mac’s death, in the swirling emotions of album release excitement and gut-wrenching grief, Ariana decided to end her engagement with Pete Davidson, and take time to focus on herself.

And thus began the creation of “Thank You, Next.”

At the start of the song, Ari lists her four most impactful relationships and the marks they left on her:

Thought I’d end up with Sean But he wasn’t a match Wrote some songs about Ricky Now I listen and laugh Even almost got married And for Pete, I’m so thankful Wish I could say, “Thank you” to Malcolm ‘Cause he was an angel

Right off the bat she lists her exes by name… talk about nerve. We all remember the Ariana and Big Sean stage—America’s nickelodeon sweetheart making her debut into a solo career and hollywood romance. We remember Ricky Alvarez, the back-up dancing bad boy. We remember sweet, sweet Mac Miller and the love that set our hearts aflame. We most recently remember Pete Davidson, SNL’s grungy mystery boy who captured our hearts suddenly and surprisingly.

The next verse moves on to identify the lessons Ariana learned throughout her time with these men:

One taught me love One taught me patience And one taught me pain Now, I’m so amazing  

She learned how to love, she learned how to be patient, and she learned how to hurt. But most importantly, she learned how to love herself and cherish her past relationships as learning experiences rather than scars.

The true beauty in this song, however, lies not in her ability to face her exes, but in her ability to face herself, face her fears, and face the world with confidence. The title “Thank you, Next” can be understood as Ariana allowing herself to move on to a new relationship; yet, that relationship does not include a man. She met someone new, and her name is Miss Ariana Grande.

She taught me love She taught me patience How she handles pain That shit’s amazing I’ve loved and I’ve lost But that’s not what I see ‘Cause look what I’ve found Ain’t no need for searching, and for that, I say Thank you, next

Ariana taught herself how to love, taught herself how to be patient, taught herself how to rise above pain, taught herself how to handle loss, and taught herself that there is no truer love than self-love.

“Thank you, Next” is the love song that every woman needs to hear. There is no greater feeling in this world than that of self-assurance and self-confidence. You cannot truly love someone until you learn to truly love yourself. Ariana Grande teaches us that no matter what the world throws at you, no matter how badly people put you down, and no matter how much pain you feel, loving yourself is the best remedy.

Be like Ariana today. Be strong, be brave, be bold, be kind, be loving, and never forget to put yourself first.

Image Sources:

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

Lyrics Source:

1

Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.