This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It seems like all we hear about these days is the “go green” movement.  We are all told to drive hybrid cars, recycle and use paper — not plastic.  In addition to this movement, the Virginia Tech Equestrian Team has joined the movement by collecting our food wrappers?

The Equestrian Team has joined a brigade through a company called Terracycle. Terracycle is a relatively new company that aims to create bags, purses, kites, picture frames and backpacks, almost anything you can imagine out of old food wrappers. It’s really not as weird as you may think, and the products end up looking quirky and cute.

Terracycle devotes its work to “upcycle” traditionally non-recyclable products and create usable items. The company statement claims that the products “keep waste out of landfills and contribute to a cleaner world.” It may seem a little far-fetched, but it’s amazing how one small movement can make such a large impact.
Some of the products are available at major retailers such as Target and Walmart, while the entirety of its products are available to buy online. You also have the opportunity to buy either a pre-made product or to “create your own.” In creating your own product, you or your specific organization can choose the item you want to create, and then learn about the wrappers you need to collect. Different products are made with different types of wrappers, and these wrappers are then mailed to Terracycle which then upcycles the wrappers into various products.

Terracycle is not really very specific on what exactly goes on during the upcycling process, but rest assured it involves cleaning the wrappers and melting them down into a unique accessory. The cool thing about Terracycle’s products is that the actual wrapper is still completely visible; so if you really like Starbursts, you can sport a messenger bag covered in Starburst wrappers. The products are also covered in a plastic, waterproof sheet — an important feature in Blacksburg, where it seems to rain constantly and randomly.
The Equestrian Team is collecting BarClif, Mars product candy bars and Nabisco products wrappers for their projects. Each member of the team is required to collect five wrappers as part of a point system. The more wrappers collected, the better, as more money will be raised.

Terracycle also offers its consumers the opportunity to join a “Brigade” of their choosing. These different brigades collect such items as cereal bags, candy bar wrappers, cheese packaging, chip bags and even digital cameras. In joining a brigade, you can mail your un-recyclable item to Terracycle where they will then exchange the product for money to donate to your organization or a non-profit organization of your choice.
That’s the best part about the Terracycle revolution: you do not have to do anything besides eat and save your wrappers. The only semi-difficult part requires you to mail away your wrappers. Raising money for a good cause is completely worth the effort, though.

Who knows, maybe Terracycling will become a new revolution and everyone will sport an upcycled purse. Find out how you can join the movement at http://www.terracycle.net/?format=html&locale=en-US and contact a member of the Equestrian Team if you’re interested in donating any wrappers you may have available. 

Megan is a sophomore at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. She is pursuing her B.A. in Communications with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism as well as a B.A. in Spanish Language. She is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. Megan updates her personal blog daily, and had a weekly blog as a Contributing Blogger for Her Campus Virginia Tech during her freshman year. As a dedicated member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, Megan serves as the official blogger. Megan's interest in journalism began with her involvement with her high school's newspaper; where she served as an assistant section editor and a section editor her sophomore and junior years. She was the managing editor her senior year. In her free time, Megan enjoys running and competing in races, reading on her Kindle, and taking photos. 
Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!