Survival Guide to Being in Your Hometown for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Winter break is quickly approaching and I can’t wait to go home. At this point in the semester, I’m tired, stressed, living in the library, writing papers constantly, distracting myself from my troubles by going on Twitter and there is nothing but caffeine pumping through my body. The fun of campus has been sucked out by finals. By the time the semester has ended, everyone is ready for a well-earned break.Only, if you’re like me you’ll be home for one week and then begin to slowly lose your mind. The thoughts going through your head as the next episode of “The Office” begins and your body seems to melt into the couch, look kinda like this: Almost none of my friends are close by. Why does my younger sibling have a better social life than me? Will I land my dream internship this summer? How much cookie dough can be consumed in one sitting? Should I start creating TikToks? Maybe that’s just me. Regardless, here are some tips to survive the holiday season back home.

Give your resume a boost

Not the most thrilling activity, I know, but you’ll thank yourself for it later. Brush up your LinkedIn profile, people actually look at it. Maybe design yourself some business cards, keep them generic and include a link to your website or portfolio. I plan to create a template for cover letters, so when internship applications open up I don’t have to focus on that as much.

Find a creative outlet

Maybe this is becoming a TikTok star or spamming your finsta! Find a dish you want to master and start cooking. Redo your childhood bedroom, I recommend using washi tape to hang up photos and prints. Go to the local Goodwill and thrift stores, score some cute outfits for the new year. Pick up an old book and do some blackout poetry. Journal, puzzle, sew, draw or whatever brings a smile to your face. Use your free time to give back to yourself. You don’t have to be the next Picasso or anything. Look for a source where you can pour some energy and free time into that makes you feel good.

Visit those you love

I know this semester I’ve neglected grabbing lunch with my grandparents and making more time to call my mom. It’s okay to get caught up in the chaos of classes, campus life, and friends. Try to use this break to reconnect with those you love back home. Whether it’s hometown friends, siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, or family friends!

Catch up on your reading list

During the semester, I never have time to read what I want to read. So for this winter break, I’m going to finally read some poetry collections and essays I’ve had to put aside. If you’re looking to switch up your reading material, go to Barnes and Noble and check out their magazine selection. I went a few weeks ago with a friend and was floored at how many magazines they have that I’d never heard of.

Take a trip down memory lane

Look through old family photos if they’re available to you. Visit your favorite spots from high school. Whenever I revisit my childhood, I always feel an immense sense of gratitude and grounding. I usually make fun of my hometown but I am lucky enough to have good memories here. Whether it’s a drive through your neighborhood, watching home videos, flipping through a photo album, or reading your high school journal, try to look back this holiday season. I think it’s really important to growth and valuable to look back on the person you were and what shaped the person you are today.

Happy holidays and also be sure to catch up on Her Campus articles this break!

All GIFs from Giphy / All images from Unsplash

Jessica Mardian

Virginia Tech '21

Jessica is a senior at Virginia Tech, double majoring in Creative Writing and Multimedia Journalism. 
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.