Anna Schultz-Running Into Ocean Arms Outstretched Inspirational
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Summer, an Existential Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Summer is a controversial time for college students. For some, it is the perfect vacation from the stress of academics and responsibility. But for others, they may feel forced to leave behind their strongest friendships, and a life that has been happily built in college. Whether you are graduating or coming back in the fall, it is a big transition to go back to your hometown. Especially when school may feel more like home. I fall into the latter, where summer has been this impending period of boredom and lack of identity for me. 

summer girl hawaii swimsuit walking water cool high res version
Her Campus Media

At college, you are easily labeled as a full-time student, a friend, maybe even a romantic partner, but when you go home, what does that change to? Do you feel younger living in your parent’s house, not having the same independence your college life offered you? It can be a very isolating time, forcing you to focus on yourself and with this time of introspection, it may bring out the worst or best emotions in you. Your routines will be different, as your focus is no longer on what assignment is due or what you and your friends are planning for the weekend. The next couple of months, spanning from May to August, will offer you a chance for new opportunities and change.

It is ironic how the time we once dreamed about in grade school is now a season to dread. That just shows you how much your present life means to you in college, that it is one worth missing, and that in itself is a gift. All the memories you have made over the past year should be treasured, as college is such a special place. You will never experience anything else like it. Before you know it, you will be grown up, pursuing a career in what you are passionate about, and potentially hitting milestones like marriage or parenthood. It is completely normal to feel scared of what is to come with summer or the years ahead. I can guarantee that the majority of your peers are right there with you.

hawaii girl happy biking fun peace
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

The best times of your life will be on the other side of fear. You can still enjoy your summer and embrace this transitional period in your life, whether it is before your next school year or post-grad plans. Summer will be over just before you know it, so make the best of it. I am personally taking summer classes and working, but in my free time, I intend to take workout classes, reading and reconnecting with friends. 

College can generate a stressful lifestyle, and the summer is the perfect time to recover from it. You can work on your physical and mental well-being, start new hobbies, and do things you have been putting off on account of being too busy with school. Live presently this summer and use it to prepare for the next year ahead. We have so much to look forward to, so if you are coming back to college in August, have a great summer and don’t forget to keep in touch with your friends.

Sydney Kumor

Virginia Tech '25

Virginia Tech junior majoring in Business Management with a minor in Political Science. Part of the Her Campus writing team with a strong passion for creative writing, cooking and coffee!