Wellness

Stop Comparing Yourself and Start Living in the Moment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I don’t follow astrology as much as others, but I do know that I’m a Leo, and a competitive one at that. But throughout elementary and middle school, I never felt like I quite hit the marks I needed to in comparison to others. My grades were decent, but I could do better. My soccer skills were good, but I could do better. My look was “cute,” but not “pretty.” There always seemed to be room for improvement in my life. 

From that point on, I vowed to push myself past my breaking point in order to succeed in every way possible. In high school, I ran off of five hours of sleep, enrolled in numerous AP classes, binged makeup tutorials until my eyes were sore, and pushed myself to a breaking point that scattered my well-being across dimensions. I was determined to become what I considered “perfect,” regardless of the toll it took on me physically, mentally, or emotionally. 

After high school, I realized I was miserable and had missed out on so much while trying to obtain this pristine, flawless image that I thought was realistic. I had become a spider, creating a tangled web spun with self-doubt and a never-ending cycle of overthinking. I had also become the spider’s prey, encased in a tight grasp, gasping for air. 

Once I arrived at college, I searched for ways to turn myself around. As cliche as it sounds, college really is an opportunity to give yourself a fresh start. Use that to your advantage! I would spend five extra minutes at the gym or treat myself to some ice cream after an exam. 

My family’s motto is Carpe Diem, which is Latin for “Seize the Day.” I have tried to embody it to the best of my ability each and every day. I was so in love with the quote that I decided to get a permanent reminder of how I plan to live my life. 

My point is, we all have had pressure put on us our entire lives. There have been rules to determine the way that we dress, act, speak, and look a certain way. It is okay to give yourself a break and step away from your stress! Do not invite apprehension and fear in your sanctuary; they are no longer welcome to the table. Bliss will be present, with prosperity and vitality seated at either side. Your new guests, excitement and passion, arrive shortly after. Finally, you will be at the head of the table, determined to seize the day. 

Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.