dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Soil for a New Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Spring time is finally here. The sun peeking out behind the clouds, gentle breezes, leaves decorating tree branches and flowers blooming are all gifts this season brings us. If I had to summarize this beautiful season in one word, it would be “growth.” Just like the blossoming of the flowers around us, we, too, are on this journey of blossoming into something new. Let’s begin this season by allowing a beautiful growth to happen in an area of our lives. Let’s plant the soil for something new to grow!

Bury The Dead

Before spring comes, there is winter. Speaking from a natural perspective, winter is a time when many flowers die. While this can be seen as a negative aspect of that season, we can also choose to see it as preparation. Sometimes in life, certain things in us or around us have to “die” in preparation for something better to come. This may be a romantic relationship, a friendship, a job, a place or even a deep struggle. The death of these things can come with so much pain; however, we can choose to view them not as paralyzing pains rather as growing pains. In my own life, I’ve experienced moments of something dying. I went through a period of deep struggle with my self-esteem that impacted my relationships with others and with myself. My opinion of myself, my love for myself and my belief in myself had died. But, it’s when we hit “rock bottom” that we’re open to the greatest growth.

Lay The Soil

Once the old flowers have been wiped away by the season of frost, there comes a time of preparing for the new blossoms. Laying the soil means taking the steps to ready yourself for the beautiful growth that’s coming in the new season. It’s not something that is always easy, but it’s always necessary. This process includes a great deal of self-reflection, healing, sacrifice and dedication. Your character is developed in the preparation. You reap what you sow. Sow into academics, sow into relationships and sow into activities or clubs, but don’t forget to sow into yourself. This particular process in my life looked like taking the time to address the roots of my pain and doubt, seeking help through counseling, getting comfortable just being by myself at times, and being bold in conquering the struggles in my life. In one of my classes, we each had to pick a topic to present a speech on. I decided to talk about eating disorders, something I personally struggled with throughout high school. The thought of it was absolutely terrifying; however, I knew it was part of me gaining closure from that painful part of my life. It wasn’t just a speech for a class — it was me taking back my opinion of myself. Laying the soil is taking back that area of your life that you have lost. It’s standing firm in who you are and then acting accordingly.

Wait For Renewal

This part is the one that requires the most patience and perseverance. Just as flowers don’t bloom overnight, growth in us doesn’t happen overnight. These processes take time. Are we willing to trust the process of growing? Are we patient enough to wait in the promise that something beautiful will blossom out of us? Once the soil is prepared on the earth, the flower can finally start blooming. Taking the proper steps towards healing allows the transformation in us to start growing. Even though it’s not instantaneous or quick, this part of the journey is absolutely beautiful. Instead of waiting in heavy hopes that life will move faster, we get the opportunity to just breathe, trust and watch. There’s something special in the waiting season; it’s the formation of our character so that we can wholly accept the growth that is to come. The foundation has been laid. Now, it’s time to experience the beauty of that preparation. After I gave my presentation on eating disorders, I received such heartwarming feedback from some of my peers. The presentation was not just for me, but it was also for them. As we overcome things in our lives, we are better equipped to help others overcome those very same struggles. Renewal is repairing something that was once broken; it’s bringing something back to life. What area in your life do you want to bring back to life? Now is the time, and now is the season.

I write this an as encouragement to us all as we enter into the season of spring. We all are on some part of this journey, but the important part is that we are all progressing. Whether we are burying something that died, laying the soil for something new, or awaiting a beautiful blossom, we should trust and enjoy the process. I cannot wait to witness the beautiful growth that will happen in my life and in the lives of those around me. This season is so special; let’s treasure it!

Simone Smith

Virginia Tech '25

I am a junior at Virginia Tech pursuing a degree in Public Relations. I enjoy painting, hikes with friends, sunsets, and finding new music.