This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

One of my core memories from my time at Virginia Tech would have to be being in the back of my friend’s car, heading back from a weekend away, filling out my Her Campus application. It was the day the application was due, and I was hesitant about applying until that day. It was the fall semester of 2020 — my third semester of college — and due to the pandemic, I hadn’t really had a chance to get involved. The thought of getting involved was scary, especially since I couldn’t do anything in person. However, I knew Her Campus was something I wanted to be a part of. I always loved to write, and knowing this organization revolved around women’s empowerment sounded like a good place to begin my college extracurricular journey. 

I was ecstatic to find out I was accepted onto their writing team, and before I knew it, I was writing my first article. All of my friends and family were so excited to see what I was doing with this organization. To this day, every time I come home, I’ll run into a random person from my hometown who tells me how much they enjoy reading my articles. It’s good to know that I’m doing something so many people enjoy, including myself.

I’m beyond grateful I get to stay at Virginia Tech next year as an employee and see what’s next for our great university. I’ll be working as a Communications Coordinator for one of the departments in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences. I’ll get to continue to write for them as well as work for their social media and create their communication plans. It’s sad growing up — especially since I made the decision to graduate early — but I know all I’ve done in the last three years has prepared me for this, including Her Campus.

Writing for Her Campus has allowed me to not only grow my connections, but also gain friendships, enhance my writing abilities, and gain my voice in the eyes of the public. Being able to express myself and my life through writing has been a true gift, and if being a part of this has taught me anything, it’s that you should always pursue your passions — especially in college. College has so many opportunities to find your community and find what you truly enjoy doing, and I’m so thankful my school had Her Campus.

For the girls in Her Campus, enjoy every moment this organization gives you. Go to the events and talk to a new girl and see what made her want to join. Participate in the icebreakers and tell a funny story; you have no idea who at that meeting may need a laugh. Tell someone you really enjoyed their article. Let Her Campus see your best qualities.

For anyone reading, please know how much I’ve enjoyed doing this. It has brought me great joy knowing people like reading my thoughts and feelings about my life. The support I’ve received in my time at Her Campus has been indescribable, and I’m so grateful. While I’ll still get to write within my career, it’ll never replace what writing for Her Campus has been like.

Get out there. Do something scary just because you’ll never get the chance to do it again. Tell those in your life you love them. Most importantly, never stop doing the things that you love. Whether that’s writing, drawing, reading, meeting new people, traveling — continue to do that. Life is precious, and even if life is busy, make time for the things that make life matter. I’ve always loved writing, so thank you, Her Campus, for allowing me to make my life matter.

Sincerely,

Gabby

Gabby Taylor

Virginia Tech '22

I am a senior at Virginia Tech pursuing a degree in Communication Science with minors in Psychology and Sociology. While writing is one of my greatest passions, I also enjoy spending time with my friends, my cat, and living in my daydreams :) enjoy my stories!