This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

With the world going on lockdown this year, I definitely had a bit more time than usual. Like many others, I took advantage of the extra time to binge-watch quite a few shows. Here’s a list and description of the shows I binge-watched this year in no particular order.

Dash and Lily – Netflix

If you’re a sucker for Christmas and romance, “Dash and Lily” is the show for you! It’s my most recent binge and I absolutely fell in love with it. Dash is a Christmas-hating loner and Lily is a Christmas-loving family person. They begin communicating through a notebook in which they trade dares and document their dreams, all while being surrounded by the hustle and bustle of New York City during Christmastime.

The Hollow – Netflix

“The Hollow” is a mind-boggling animated series that follows three teenagers that wake up in a mysterious world with no prior memory of how they got there. They must work together to solve puzzles and battle strange creatures in the hopes of escaping and returning back home. This is a super fun watch as I definitely tried to solve the mystery along with the characters.

Never Have I Ever – Netflix

You’ll get second-hand embarrassment from watching the life of Devi Vishwakumar, a first-generation Indian-American teenager who’s trying to gain popularity in high school. “Never Have I Ever” is an awkward, fun show that showcases the troubles of high school, including love triangles, quirky, diverse characters, and navigating being in an immigrant family.

Love, Victor – Hulu

Set in the same universe as “Love, Simon,” “Love, Victor” follows Victor Salazar, a Hispanic high school student who is struggling to find his identity, all while moving to a new town. The characters are likable, the acting is great, and it’s a bit predictable, but overall an enjoyable watch.

The Babysitter’s Club – Netflix

This modern spinoff of the original Babysitter’s Club follows a group of middle school best friends that decide to start a babysitting business. This show highlights the highs and lows of growing up and has such a talented and diverse cast.

Looking for Alaska – Hulu

“Looking for Alaska” is about an angsty teen that enrolls into a boarding school and meets a girl with a complicated past. This show is also predictable, but the journey was entertaining. It had me on the verge of tears at some moments and had some deep messages embedded throughout the story. It will definitely make you think about the meaning of life.

Kim’s Convenience – Netflix

A light-hearted and family-oriented comedy, “Kim’s Convenience” follows the Kim family, a Korean-Canadian family that runs a convenience store in Toronto. I loved watching this show with my family because it made everyone laugh and incorporated a lot of Asian culture and representation.

Sex Education- Netflix

“Sex Education” is about Otis, an awkward high school student whose mom happens to be a sex therapist. Through the knowledge gained from his mom, Otis unwillingly becomes a sex expert and uses it to his advantage to team up with one of his friends to start an underground business to help his fellow classmates’ problems. This show is raw, comedic, and full of fun, unapologetic characters.

Avatar: The Last Airbender – Netflix

“Avatar: The Last Airbender” takes place in a world divided into the Water Tribe, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads. Within this world, benders can manipulate the element from their nation, but only the Avatar can master all four. When the Fire Nation attacks, the Avatar, the only bender that can stop the chaos disappears. 100 years later, the Avatar miraculously returns and is challenged to bring the world back into balance. I love this show because it has so much representation, amazing characters, and a complex and entertaining storyline. 

Legend of Korra – Netflix

“Legend of Korra” takes place years after the events of “Avatar: The Last Airbender,” following Korra, the next Avatar, a member of the Southern Water Tribe. The show focuses on Korra learning how to master all four elements and maintain the peace of the world. This show is very different from “Avatar: The Last Airbender,” but maintains many of the same themes and elements. I highly recommend it if you enjoyed watching “Avatar: The Last Airbender.” 

Marciana Castillo

Virginia Tech '23

Marciana is a sophomore from Norfolk, VA majoring in Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise with minors in Integrative Health and Wellness and Creative Writing. She aspires to become a physician and author one day. When she's not studying you can catch her watching rom coms, teaching with Hokie Wellness, sipping matcha boba, jamming to music, or playing spikeball!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!