This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Ah, senior year. It is full of the final memories of the freedom away from our families and hometowns mixed with the overwhelming angst of job hunting, apartment searching, and having friends and family ask, “What’s next?” In light of the current pandemic, there are more than a few things current seniors are struggling with, so let’s take a step back and take a look at the bigger picture.

Seniors, we’re in the middle of a pandemic and constant economic turbulence—not having an internship or job ready for you come May is absolutely okay! I know it’s less than ideal, and not what we wanted for ourselves, BUT companies and businesses in various industries know that about this struggle too. They understand the difficulties. Instead of wallowing in our own self-pity, why not turn that negative energy into something productive? Whether that’s starting a new personal project, working for family members and friends, or even just taking care of mental and emotional health, you can still keep yourself busy and feel good about your work at the end of the day.

Graduation? Who is she? Yes, I know. Our graduation is covered in question marks rather than doodled balloons in our calendars and agendas; depending on which university you’re in, procedures may or may not have been put out yet. Even with all this uncertainty, there are still plenty of ways for you to be proud of yourself and celebrate the end of your college career. Socially-distanced photoshoots, decorations around your homes, and even distanced celebrations are all possibilities! Take the time to celebrate yourself. You deserve it. 

What comes next? Well, that’s up to you. Regardless of whether you want to dive straight into work (safely of course) or take some time off, you owe no answers to anyone but yourself. If college has taught us anything, it’s that we know what our paces are, and we know how much we can handle at one time. In the midst of a global pandemic, we all have our own lives going on too. We have battles that no one else can see, so it’s important to, just as you paced yourself in class, pace yourself in the real world too.

To my recent alumni and current seniors, you’re doing the best you can, and you’re doing great. Celebrate and take care of yourselves first; your needs are greater than anything else. Good luck! 

Shanzeh is a senior at Virginia Tech and is originally from Northern Virginia. She's studying multimedia journalism and minoring in international studies; you can usually find her in a cozy corner with a cup of coffee most likely listening to a podcast or watching a news relay. Shanzeh hopes to become an international correspondent and has aspirations to be writing, reporting, and photographing for a news outlet in the future.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.