This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Bubbling with eternal sunshine and brimming with zeal, sophomore Ruby Kang is in the fast lane towards a bright future. Involved and inspired — she has caught our eye with her can-do attitude! We got the opportunity to sit down and chat with the current Marketing Director of Innovate to learn more about her life.

Name: Ruby Kang

Year: Sophomore

Major(s): accounting and finance

Organization(s): PRISM, Sigma Kappa, and Innovate

Leadership Position: Marketing Director of Innovate

Q- What is Innovate?

Ruby: It’s a living-learning community focused on entrepreneurship.  Innovate is made up of a set of bright and determined students from diverse backgrounds, majors, etc. They are facilitated with resources and staff to pursue starting a company, if they wish, or to just simply be immersed in the culture.

Q- As Marketing Director, what is your role?

Ruby: My role goes beyond what most people consider as marketing. It is not just social media like Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. I work to establish the brand and message of Innovate and make sure to stay true to it.

Q- Do you feel as though this has helped you to explore your interests and/or possible career?

Ruby: Absolutely! It helped to expand my idea of future career choices. Honestly, the possibilities are endless. Initially going into college, I had a pretty narrow idea of what I could pursue —but by being exposed to networking — I feel as though there is kind of no limit.

Q- What about personal growth?

Ruby: I think that by being involved with Innovate, PRISM and a sorority, I have been able to gain knowledge and abilities like I never thought I would. I really had to develop time management skills and make difficult decisions on where my priorities lie. Also, becoming responsible and accountable for myself have been some things I have come to learn. But, in the end I believe it has helped me to mature and grow as an individual.

Q- At the end of a long day, what do you feel keeps you motivated?

Ruby: Passion, definitely. Not only my own personal passion, but also the people around me.  Innovate works closely with Apex Systems Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship here at Virginia Tech, and when I see how much the staff there puts in so much of their time and efforts into everything they do —I just know that I want to put forth everything I’ve got to create something and something that matters… something that creates change.

Rachel Phandinh

Virginia Tech

{ runner, dreamer, creator } Current freshman majoring in Marketing and Fashion Merchandising/Design with a minor in entrepreneurship.
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.