Reflections From a Second Semester Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As I begin this semester, I can’t help but reflect on my past three and a half years at Virginia Tech. This time has been important to me not only academically (of course!), but socially, mentally, and beyond. I have had so many good times, where things went well for me in my courses, I made new friends, and I was happy. But, I’ve also had some challenging moments, where I questioned my path in life and my abilities. I’m glad to say I’ve almost made it though; this is the beginning of my final semester at Virginia Tech. Here are my top three takeaways from my time in college:

1. Let your ambition and curiosity guide you.

This lesson may seem generic, but it’s definitely one I needed to hear when I was towards the beginning of my college career. I was afraid to talk about what interested me since I wasn’t sure what kind of career it fell under. I had ideas of things I liked but wasn’t quite sure what kind of career they would manifest within, so I just held my breath on exploring them. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to say “yes” to new things. You may not always find that they are the best for you, but at least you can say that you tried and took something away from it. Don’t be afraid to speak up and ask questions. Showing genuine interest and intention is respectable. I ended up understanding more about myself as I realized what I liked and didn’t like about careers through experiences.

2. Connect with those who are likeminded and kind, but be willing to be challenged.

This is the space where you really learn the most. Spending time with diverse groups of people is one of the most important, yet frequently ignored, things that college students do. You will begin to ask “why?”, become more analytical, and gain compassion. Understanding others and their experiences will help you to solve problems more efficiently, and I can guarantee you, will make you a more caring human. Don’t be afraid to change your mind and do your own research about the things you want to learn more about. You speak for yourself, so find evidence to back up your strongest assertions on topics you care about the most. Decisions are data driven, so the more data and intel that you collect, a more well-rounded and understanding person you become.

3. Remember to relax; everyone is human.

Something that has always given me strength is reminding myself that everyone is human. Behind every big, scary objective, there is someone who was once in your shoes; scared, nervous, imperfect. And they made it. So can you. Remind yourself that one bad test grade won’t matter later on. Remind yourself that your mental and physical health matter. Remind yourself that you are not superhuman. You can only handle what you think you can. When you are in times of stress, think – will this matter in one year? How about five? How about ten? Thinking back to high school will put this into perspective for you and make you realize just how much you’ve changed. Looking at the big picture can make all the difference in your mental perception of a situation or obstacle to overcome.

My final message to wrap up these three takeaways is to focus on your self-awareness. Say “thank you” more often. Remind yourself of the good things you have accomplished. Think positively. These four years will pass by quickly, so find the time to reflect for yourself along the way to further enjoy these special, selfish years.

Image Sources:

1 / 2 / 3

Kaitlyn Horinko

Virginia Tech '19

Kaitlyn can usually be found 15 minutes early to wherever she's going, with Starbucks in hand. She is passionate about social media and finding new ways to advocate for mental health, and enjoys making playlists, road trips, and writing in her free time.
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.