This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Have you ever thought about joining a sorority, but you weren’t sure what you would be getting yourself into? In this article we’ll give you some insight on what the benefits of joining a sorority are.

Life long friendships

One of the biggest reasons girls join sororities is to make new friends. Well, luckily enough sororities do give you the chance to make life long friends. Everyone is in the same boat as you during recruitment and will want to make friends just as much as you do. You will bond with so many girls and eventually find your group of friends that you do practically everything with. You will go to events together, have study sessions, hangout, get lunch/dinner, and mainly just have someone be there for you when you need them.

Academic Support

When people think of sorority life, most of the time academics are not the first thing that come to mind. But, sororities are serious about academics and want to do as much as they can to help you succeed in school. If you join a sorority, many hold group study sessions. These sessions are very beneficial and you can learn a whole lot of information. You will also find girls who are taking the same class as you or have taken the same class years before. If you do find someone, usually they will give you notes or old tests banks they used to help you do well in class.

Social Gatherings

One of the best things about being in a sorority, in our opinion, are the social events. Your sorority may hold sisterhood events, which can include movie nights, bowling, spa days, formal dinners, and many more! Another event all sororities have are date functions. These are the best because you get to dress up, bring a date, dance and enjoy food! All of these events are super fun and are great bonding experiences to get to know the girls in your sorority. You will quickly begin to feel involved and part of a community.    

Networking

In addition to the lifelong friendships, you are exposed to a new professional network. From girls in your pledge class to women who have graduated before you, there are countless numbers of women who have been in your shoes and want to help you. Do not shy away from reaching out to past chapter members or even members of the same organization but from a different chapter because chances are they would love to talk to you and answer your questions so you can learn from their experiences.

Community Service Opportunities

Community service plays a large role in the lives of every woman in Greek life. Each chapter holds their members accountable for a certain number of community service hours semesterly. The way these hours can be accomplished is different for each chapter, however, the good news is that Virginia Tech PanHellenic has implemented an easy way to complete these. Virginia Tech PanHellenic has created service events where sororities can come together and complete a service event. This opportunity allows you to not only give back, but do so while meeting other affiliated women on campus.

Philanthropy

Every sorority on every campus across the nation has their own philanthropic cause they support in addition to their community service efforts. While it varies for every chapter, each typically hosts a fall and spring event benefiting their philanthropy. This is a time when members of the organization as well as members a part of a different organization can come together and support one cause through daily events, and competitions to get everyone excited. In addition to the chapter’s individual philanthropy, there is the opportunity to get involved with other sororities and fraternity’s philanthropy events. Each of these opportunities is a great way to meet more Greek individuals on campus both in and outside of your organization.

We hope that this article helped you figure out if the sorority life is for you or not!

Alexis Bignotti

Virginia Tech

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!