This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

During February, love is in the air. The desire to put on “The Notebook” and cry into a bowl of ice cream grows infinitely stronger when everywhere is covered in pink hearts and roses. Either that, or the overwhelming commercialization of romance makes the idea of love increasingly nauseating. Use this time to step away from the rom-coms or the urge to pop heart-shaped balloons and use the season of love to focus on loving yourself!

1. Spoil yourself

It’s well known that the best part of February is when all the fancy chocolates and flowers go on sale. You don’t need a significant other to spoil you—treat yourself! Take advantage of the sales and lavish yourself with the luxuries you deserve.

2. Have some “me time”

Take a moment to set aside everything in your life that is stressing you out and find your happy place. Whether it is just setting aside 20 minutes to put on a facemask or taking the morning to go for a hike, find something that helps you relax!

3. Appreciate your strengths and count your blessings

It might seem cheesy but try to think of everything that you like about yourself and everything in your life that you are thankful for. Write down a list. Use this technique to try to help you train your mind to focus on life’s positives. Plus, then you can use the list as a reminder if you are having a bad day later.

4. Try something new

Push yourself out of your comfort zone! Whether it’s trying a new activity like rock climbing, or teaching yourself a new language, trying something new can empower you!

“Be kinder to yourself. And then let that kindness flood the world.” ~ Pema Chodron

All gifs sourced from Giphy.com

Allison Rathert

Virginia Tech '19

Allison is Criminology Major at Virginia Tech, also minoring in Business and National Security & Foreign Affairs. She is obsessed with coffee, chocolate, old movies, writing, photography, animals, and spontaneous adventures!
Kaitlyn Horinko

Virginia Tech '19

Kaitlyn can usually be found 15 minutes early to wherever she's going, with Starbucks in hand. She is passionate about social media and finding new ways to advocate for mental health, and enjoys making playlists, road trips, and writing in her free time.