galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio

Planning the Perfect Valentine’s Day Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Spreading love during the Valentine’s Day season shouldn’t be restricted to our significant others. It is important to take time for your friends as well, starting by planning the perfect Valentine’s Day party. Although this may sound stressful, I promise it is just as fun to put together as it is to attend. I am going to share my most Pinterest-worthy festivities and food in hopes that it inspires your Valentine’s Day spirit. 

galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
Decorations 

The most crucial step of getting into the Valentine’s mood in my opinion — is to decorate accordingly. No matter the budget, there are always ways to spruce up your party space with all sorts of hearts, pinks and reds. Most stores have themed decor; however, it is also exciting to make your own adornments for the party. There are many different crafts out there, but I’ve found that the easiest ones are the heart strings that hang above your walls. You can also use items found around the house such as bed sheets for a photoshoot backdrop. For a final touch, you can pick up some flowers as a table centerpiece.  

Food

Having a delicious meal is always a good time with your best friends. However, making the food together can create even more memories. For the past couple of years, heart-shaped pizzas have been trending all over social media, and they aren’t too difficult to recreate at home. Plenty of stores sell pre-made dough, making the process that much easier. In addition, you can add some fun topping designs with colorful ingredients.

galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
Cookie Decorating 

One of my go-to activities with friends growing up was frosting cookies and cupcakes. If you aren’t particularly baking-savvy, there are many pre-made desserts and frostings at the store that are just as delicious. There are also dozens of garnishes to choose from such as sprinkles, flowers, pearls and more that make for creative designs. Depending on the competitive nature of your guests, you can even make this into a contest. 

Movies

Now, for my personal favorite, watching a rom-com with your girlfriends on Valentine’s Day couldn’t sound more perfect. There are hundreds of movies to choose from; however, I would recommend 10 Things I Hate About You, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Clueless, Valentine’s Day (especially if you’re a fan of Taylor Swift) and The Notebook. So, cozy up with some blankets and snacks and binge-watch your most loved romantic movies.  

Pictures

Last, but by far the most important, is taking adorable pictures with your friends. I’ve found that my most Pinterest-worthy photos have been taken on a digital or film camera. Capturing your memories from the day makes for a perfect addition to a scrapbook, photo collage or even just to post online. Sharing the pictures at the end of the party is also an exciting way to end the evening.  

Sonali Shah

Virginia Tech '27

Sonali is a freshman studying Computational Modeling and Data Analytics at Virginia Tech. She loves thrifting, sewing, reading romance novels, and listening to Taylor Swift.