jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Places to Explore in Blacksburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As the second half of spring semester approaches, this time of year can become very sentimental and nostalgic for students. For me, freshmen year is coming close to an end, while others may be graduating in May and moving on to a bigger future of pursuing their passions. Regardless of where you are in your college career, there may be a similar desire to gather several experiences before the semester ends among many students right now. Here are a list of places in Blacksburg, some underrated, to explore either on your own or with a group of friends:

1. Moss Arts Center

Located directly on the Virginia Tech campus near Squires, the Moss Arts Center provides students with an easily accessible opportunity to view a selection of work from many different artists. I recently visited the center for the first time and was immediately blown away by the atmosphere. Acting as a museum, the building has a peaceful vibe that is perfect for some time of reflection.

2. Gobble Cakes

Another place I have recently visited, Gobble Cakes, a cupcake boutique specifically for Blacksburg is located just a short walk from Squires Student Center. The place offers a wide variety of flavors to choose from, often switching around each week, bringing new ones in. Their cupcakes range in size from mini, standard, to signature, their biggest option. Not only do they specialize in cupcakes but they offer many selections of coffee beverages. It’s the perfect place to visit with friends, especially for a quick and delicious bite.

3. The Lyric

One of the main staples here in Blacksburg, the Lyric Theatre serves as an accessible movie theatre and performance house for the Virginia Tech community. Just by checking their calendar online, you are able to see which films they are playing for the week, usually it is one singular one for the straight week, but all in all this is the perfect place to go with friends in the nearby area.It is also a very affordable place to watch movies at, prices range from 4 to 6 dollars. In addition to the movies, the Lyric houses the performances for the college’s production groups, especially those music related. For example, Mixed Emotions, otherwise known as MEMO: the mixed acapella group, performs both a fall and spring show at the Lyric open to students.

4. Brunch at Gillie’s

This is something that I have been wanting to do since I got here to Virginia Tech. According to other students, having brunch at Gillie’s restaurant is a must do while at college. This is a great opportunity to gather a group of friends and hang out while also enjoying great food in the Blacksburg area.

As the year comes to an end, there are still plenty of opportunities to make new memories and try new things in Blacksburg at all of these places!

Image Credits Thumb/1/2/3/4

Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.