Parking Lot Disappearance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Notice the new construction on campus? If you drive to class, you definitely have.  Last week the University took away four hundred parking spaces from the commuter lot and began construction on yet another new building.

The Signature Engineering Building is the latest undertaking to be added to Virginia Tech’s seemingly never-ending list of construction projects.  With a disclosed grand opening, the new building will highlight the efforts and accomplishments of the prestigious College of Engineering.

However, the project comes at a high cost for student drivers; about one third of parking has been lost with no replacements in sight. Apparently, parking services now encourage commuters to seek additional parking on Chicken Hill Drive and the CAGE. Yeah, we’ll all just sweat our balls off as we hike 2 miles to class everyday.

“It was already difficult to find a spot even before they closed the section,” said Senior Robert Kearn.

Just last year hundreds of parking spaces tragically vanished when construction of the Center for the Arts building began.  At the same time, parking services raised permit fees.

“It’s infuriating that they’ve taken away so spots while continuing to raise the prices of permits,” continued Kearn.

The increasing disappearance of parking availability and jacked up prices are becoming rather suspicious.  It’s almost like the University is trying to eradicate parking for commuters.  What’s next, the CAGE will close and parking on weekends will become illegal? Only time will tell….

Source:

http://www.eng.vt.edu/signaturebuilding

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!