Culture > News

The Overarching Narratives of Sexual Assault Cases in the Kavanaugh Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Thursday, September 27- the day where the nation stood still as Brett Kavanaugh and Dr. Christine Baisley Ford gave contradictory retellings of one event that occurred 35 years ago. On this Thursday, millions of people across the United States re-lived their own personal experiences with sexual assault. Individuals on both ends of the political spectrum critically analyzed every word and the tone used by each individual as they were questioned by the senate judiciary committee and a sex crimes prosecutor.

However, what this hearing has really exposed is the way that sexual assault cases are treated across the United States, and not just in politics or with celebrities. The validity of the victim’s retelling of their personal story is scrutinized and theorized on a daily basis for men and women of all different races, gender identities, and sexual orientations. 

We often hear, “Why didn’t she report it earlier? Why is she coming out and telling her story NOW?” For Dr. Ford, it took 35 years for her to reluctantly tell her story. For some women, it takes only a day. Some women silence their voices and never tell anyone at all.

However, when watching the Kavanaugh hearing, we realize why some women don’t want to report their assaults. Watching Dr. Ford fearfully recall memories that happened in explicit detail was something I, personally, will never forget. At 15 years old, she didn’t want her parents to know that she was at a party with alcohol or boys. She was petrified of anyone finding out, and, quite frankly, that is the same narrative for many young women who have experienced something similar.  Years later, that feeling remains to haunt her. Like many women, instead of being wrapped in a veil of comfort, she was forced to confront every detail of her assault as they were continuously questioned for their validity. These victims, when retelling their stories, are questioned to the point where they often question their own truths. As a society, we have a tendency to shift blame on the women who are simply trying to explain their side of their own stories.

On the other side of the aisle, we see many legislators attempting to justify Kavanaugh’s actions by establishing him as a man who would never commit sexual assault. He was an athlete. He was a scholar. He was a good, Christian man. Brock Turner was also a good kid. A scholar. A swimmer. He was also a rapist. For many sexual assault victims, the person that assaulted them was often unsuspecting, often a family friend or friendly classmate and this often takes away from the validity of their story.

In this court hearing, Dr. Ford represented every person who has ever reported their sexual assault. We see why she and many others wait to tell their stories. She was every girl who went to a party and expecting to have a good time, but returning with a burden she would carry with her for the rest of her life. She was every girl who tried to tell her story, but had her voice scrutinized rather than supported. Instead of allowing this to carry on any longer, we should all learn from the Kavanaugh hearing on how to approach sexual assault cases going forward. It has happened in politics. It has happened in Hollywood. It can happen to anyone.

Image Sources: Pexels, BBC.com

Alexandra Pillion

Virginia Tech '21

Sophomore studying National Security and Foreign Affairs (NSFA) and Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (PPE) with a minor in Japanese. Just a short and sassy blonde trying to figure out this whole 'world domination' ordeal.
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.