New Pizza Joint Benny Marzano’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Every downtown hotspot is known for a notorious item. TOTS has the rail and River Mill has the Irish car bomb. Now we have a new contender, Benny Marzano’s, the pizza place of all pizza places.  How so do you ask? Two words: jumbo slice.  This culinary distinction hails from Adams Morgan. This slice of pizza is more than enough to satisfy any drunk hunger and every late-night bargoer has mastered the stance to eat this monster. The greasy slab of heaven requires two paper plates to handle and nearly overflows out of a pizza box. The name jumbo slice hardly does this pizza goodness justice. But, that’s what separates the jumbo slice from your ordinary pizza pie.

The minute bartenders scream “last call” a line forms outside Benny Marzano’s, and it’s one step closer to a minor food coma. It’s hard to look away at the sight of your fellow Hokie devouring a jumbo from the way people try to maneuver the oversized slice with a variety of eating techniques.

The small pizza joint has diner-esque barstool seating around the perimeter of the storefront and large windows perfect for catching a passer-bys attention and to prove any disclaimer that size does really matter…even when you’re three sheets to the wind.

At Benny Marzano’s its simple: cheese or pepperoni. No need to garnish the foot–in- a-half long slice with unnecessary distractions; the slice is a distraction in itself. Seeing is believing my friend, and this ideal late-night snack is sure to please. At $3.60 for a slice of cheese and $4.50 for pepperoni it’s hard to resist a jumbo slice.

Located on Draper Road next to River Mill and across the street from She Sha’s.

Photo credit: 
http://www.alwayshungryny.com/images/content/KoronetJumboSlice__PizzaMartCheesePizza_v1_20_-_Version_2_thumb.jpg

Mallory Smith is a senior Sociology major at Scripps College, located in sunny Claremont, CA. Born in Denver, Colorado, Mallory spent her time growing up between England, China and The United States. As a result, she loves to travel and explore new places and cultures. In Claremont Mallory is editor of the Life and Style section of The Student Life Newspaper. She also writes for Beyond the Elms, Scripps College’s Career Planning and Resources blog, where she is writing about her soon-to-be journey into the real world. In her free time Mallory enjoys going to art galleries in downtown Los Angeles, hiking, going to the beach and scuba diving whenever she gets the chance.