My Thanksgiving Playlist and My Famous Pumpkin Bread Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. From the food, the scents and the comfort music, it is a superior season compared to the others. I have gathered my favorite songs to listen to during the fall/Thanksgiving season as well as provided you with my famous pumpkin bread recipe.

My Fall Playlist:

My Spotify is my safe space. It provides me the capability to embed myself in another world. This fall, I have curated a playlist that I believe perfectly embodies the emotions of the season. It is a great playlist to listen to as you walk to class, or as you cook your Thanksgiving meal. The playlist includes many different artists like the 1975, the Cure, Tyler and Steve Lacy. I recommend you give it a listen as well as follow me on Spotify.

My Famous Pumpkin Bread Recipe

This recipe is super special to me. I bake it multiple times during the fall and winter months. I have gathered the recipe from multiple sources but have tinkered with the specific ingredients to make it my own. 

Ingredients:

• 1 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour (leveled and sifted)
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon of ground cloves
  • ½ teaspoon of all-spice
  • ¾ teaspoon of salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ cup of granulated sugar
  • ¾ cup of light brown sugar
  • 1 ½ cups of pumpkin puree 
  • ½ cup of vegetable oil
  • ¼ cup of orange juice
  • Semi-sweet chocolate chips (to your liking, optional)

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease a metal loaf pan or muffin pan.
  3. In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all-spice and salt together.
  4. In a stand mixer, mix eggs, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Once combined, mix the pumpkin puree, oil and orange juice.
  5. Take the dry ingredients bowl and slowly add it to the wet ingredients stand mixer bowl. I usually split it into three segments. Once everything is mixed, add the chocolate chips. You can add as little or as many as you like.
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. If you are doing loaves, bake for 60-65 minutes. If you are doing muffins, bake for 30-35 minutes. Use a toothpick to check if the bread is done.
  7. Once the bread is done, cool on a rack for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.

This recipe is super easy and has lots of give. It is always a big hit among many.

Emily Chipman

Virginia Tech '26

I am a clinical neuroscience major with a psychology minor on the pre-medical track. I went to high school in Blacksburg, Virginia, but was born and raised in San Diego, California. I am currently associated with a pre-health fraternity and a research program called IHSR. Although I am super passionate about STEM, reading and writing has always been something I enjoy doing on my free time. I joined Her Campus in order to better my writing and gain more acquaintances that enjoy journalism as much as I do.