This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Have you ever wondered why people go back to the same show they’ve already watched when there is plenty they have not seen yet? There’s a reason people find comfort in watching the same show over and over. According to Vogue, the neural activity activated by rewatching a TV show that we like causes the release of dopamine, and we are left with that warm, soothing feeling. It’s normal to rewatch certain shows and can serve as nostalgia from a certain time in your life. For me, comfort shows serve as a stress reliever. Here are some of my favorites.

New girl

My absolute favorite comfort show to watch is New Girl. In this show, Jessica Day, a quirky school teacher played by Zooey Deschanel, moves into an apartment with three men who all have unique and hilarious personalities. This is one of the shows that will make you laugh out loud while watching. I love this show because it is very lighthearted and easy to watch on a particularly stressful day.

gilmore girls

While not quite as comical as New Girl, Gilmore Girls is always a good comfort show for me because of the characters. This drama is ultimately about the relationship between the Gilmore girls, Rory, her mother and grandmother. Set in the small town of Stars Hollow with odd neighbors and relationships, it tells the story of their changing relationships and life obstacles.

Atypical

This comedy follows a boy named Sam, who has autism spectrum disorder with a hyperfixation on all things Antarctica. It goes through all the challenges he faces and how he overcomes them. At the beginning of the series, Sam is unsure how he can get the same things out of life as a neurotypical, such as becoming independent or dating, but as time goes on, he grows and realizes he can do the same things. While being such a heartfelt and emotional show, it’s also quite funny and an enjoyable watch. With 30 minute episodes, it’s an easy show to binge-watch.

H2o

I first watched this as a young child, and it’s been one of my favorite shows since then. H20 tells the story of three girls who become mermaids and have to figure out how that has happened to them. Although it’s catered towards children, it is such a comfort show because of how lighthearted and entertaining it is. I’ve watched it a full three times and enjoy the ups and downs every time. If you want to feel a little magical realism, I highly recommend checking H20 out. Here’s a fun fact: two of the mermaids went on to become co-stars in The Vampire Diaries spin-off, The Originals.

These are just a few of the shows that bring me happiness in times of stress, and I hope they do for you too!

Gray Jones

Virginia Tech '25

Gray a freshman majoring in business information technology and minoring in professional and technical writing. In her free time, she loves to read romance novels, especially by Colleen Hoover.