This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Autumn is the most aesthetically pleasing season, end of discussion. It’s also the time that needs music in which we’re reminded by the “Monster Mash” or Christmas. For me, here are my top eight autumn songs.

“Sweater Weather” by The Neighbourhood

I think I’ve been in love with this song since I was 12. Something about this song makes me want to curl up next to a window on a gray day, bundled under covers as I drink some tea and daydream. It’s a dream. If there is one song to recommend, it would be this.

“All Too Well” by Taylor Swift

Is it really autumn if Taylor Swift isn’t on the playlist? “All Too Well” — especially the 10 Minute Version — is beautifully written and, even looking at the short film, it deserves to be an autumn song.

“Yellow” by Coldplay

I’ve recently rediscovered this song and I’ve fallen in love all over again. For me, Coldplay’s older music hits different and “Yellow” has a dreamy feel to the whole song. Again, if you need a song to daydream to, listen to this one.

“Autumn Leaves” by Ed Sheeran

Can this one even be more specific? I personally love using symbolism for larger ideas — and Ed Sheeron does so wonderfully in this song. The overall vibe of the song is somber yet calming and beautiful. If you want to reflect on life, definitely give this a listen.

“Dandelion Wine” by Gregory Alan Isakov

I only recently discovered this song and I wish I knew about it before. It feels like the singer is highlighting the ending of summer and the beginning of autumn — and he does so in a soft manner. It feels like opening up someone’s experiences and hearing their story.

“Cherry Wine” by Hozier

Another all-time favorite, “Cherry Wine” makes me feel contemplative and, quite honestly, sleepy. While it’s the happiest of songs, I think I’ve been intrigued with this song since I was a freshman in high school. Plus, the live sounds playing in the background only add to the overall experience of such a tragic song.

“Héroes del Sábado” by La Maravillosa Orquesta del Alcohol

Another song I’ve just learnt about, yet it’s amazing. The entire discography of this band is fascinating — listen to “Colgados del Sol” if you want to hear more — and “Héroes del Sábado” feels like walking into autumn. Maybe I need to listen more closely, but I already feel like this has me ready for autumn.

“Evermore” by Taylor Swift ft. Bon Iver

I could put this whole album on this list, but Taylor Swift and Bon Iver have vocals that feel like I’m drinking mulled wine and watching the leaves turn from green to orange. “Evermore” is the ultimate fall song, and it’s everything somber and cozy all in one.

There are many songs and playlists that will make you feel like you’re watching the leaves change, but these are my favorites. If you want some variety, check these out and feel the pumpkin spice begin to flow through your veins.

Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.