books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Must-Read Books for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Gone are the days of reading for pleasure, right? With so many textbooks piled in the corner of your miniscule dorm room, is there really shelf space for a pleasure read about starting your own business?

The teams of Her Campus and Silhouette Literary and Art Magazine think so, and here’s why we think making time for pleasure reading is important and what our book recommendations are for spring.  

Obviously, there is a difference between a required read and a pleasure read, and it is as stark of a contrast as the week before finals and syllabus week. But the joys of reading for pleasure are more than just the growth of knowledge. When you take initiative on your spare moments by indulging with a topic of choice, you find those textbooks are much more bearable. 

Filling your free time with a pleasure read is the perfect way to inspire your daily action, to relax and to ground your thoughts. If it wasn’t already known— reading improves your empathic skills, as well written skills!

So, take our lead and give these a read. (Also we subtly paired beverages with featured books, so enjoy!)

The Body Book by Cameron Diaz

“This book will teach you so much about nutrition, fitness and emotional wellness. Cameron really explains it in a way that’s easy to understand, too. It’s fascinating!”           

Recommended by: Bailey Black, Sophomore, HC Vice President

Paired with: Martini 

When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

“This book is based on the idea that people’s skin will be dyed in accordance to the level of crime which they committed. The main character in this novel was convicted of murder because she had an abortion and this novel is set in a time (in the future) where abortion is illegal. So accurate right now!”

Recommended by: Layne Mandros, Junior, Silhouette Editor-in-Chief

Paired with: Presumably tea?! 

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë    

“Readers follow Jane from childhood to adulthood as she reconciles her own independent and ambitious nature with the expectations placed on her by strict religion and men. It’s inspiring and encouraging to read about a woman who determines her purpose by renouncing the culture surrounding her, finding a new understanding of God and partnership with men. Read it. “

Recommended by: Anna Harjung, Silhouette Blogger

Paired with: Coffee on a delicately-arranged tray. Totally rocks. 

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak     

“This book is a must-read because it allows readers to step foot into Nazi Germany, something we have learned repeatedly about in our young lives, but experience it in many ways that our education system has never taught us. It is a truly inspirational novel because it depicts how even in the darkest hours of history, we are able to find hope in the resilience of the human spirit (and books!). A book about books, written by a guy who likes books for people who also like books. Pretty remarkable.”

Recommended by: Amy Borg, Silhouette Designer

Paired with: *Black coffee                                                                                             

Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer 

“This book is based on a true story, narrating Christopher Mccandless’ cross-country trip with the goal of surviving an alaskan winter. It teaches simplicity, transcendentalism, and inspires the reader to be free and to follow your dreams and morals. The movie is great too.”

Recommended by: Dilara Long, Junior, HC Treasurer

Paired with: Absolutely nothing. This is simplicity at its finest.                     

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

“It’s honest, funny and genuinely interesting. Amy Poehler is a goddess.”

Recommended by: Tricia Lowney, Silhouette: Co-Photography, Art, & Design Editor  

Paired with: Coffee to-go.                                                                                                                      

The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo

“Goes on a journey through life and uncovers the deeper meaning behind its true purpose.”

Recommended by: Shaina Pigliacampi, Silhouette Blogger           

Paired with: Red bull, this looks exciting.                                                                                                                               

Bitches and Sad Ladies (edited) by Pat Rotter

“I always had this tucked under my arm with the spine facing away from onlookers, because the title elicits a certain impression. But this book of short stories carried me through so many narratives of the real, strong women portrayed. It is nice to have characters who are relatable and who’s stories expose issues of gender-based violence and of sexist stereotypes. You get two sides of the same coin of what it is to be a woman.”

Recommended by: Kaley Roshitsh, Junior, HC Editor-in-chief/CC       

Paired with: Sadly this book did not make it out of the library in any of the three Instagram sources we found.

*Editor’s note: This is personally hilarious, but I promise it is worth the read. 

Thier Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston    

“You get to go on a journey with the main character, Janie, as she finds out she is as a woman of color in the South in the early 1900s. It deals with topics like sexual awakening and coming-of-age, gender roles, relationships and self-identity. Every character is incredibly written, and you really feel connected to Janie. My favorite book I have ever read. I re-read it every summer. It’s a good beach read because it’s easy to understand, but it also has a great message.”       

Recommended by: Hannah Goode, Sophomore, Silhouette Blogger  

Paired with: Latte 

You’re Never Weird on the Internet by Felicia Day   

“It’s a fascinating story about an awkward girl who grew to become the Queen of the Internet. If you know her at all, this book is a must read.”

Recommended by: Fintan Kelly, Junior, Silhouette General Staff  

Paired with: Coffee with what appears to be artificial sweetener, (definitely fits the theme of the internet). 

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

“This book is funny, dry and balances perfectly between fantasy and reality, while experimenting with formatting and commenting on society. I love this book and reading it makes me smile.”

Recommended by: Ali Miller, Sophomore, Silhouette General Staff

Paired with: Red wine of course. 

We hope you enjoyed this collaborative article, and stay tuned for more! Happy reading. 

Image sources:1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.