This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Most Anticipated Movies of 2020

By: Kate Renz 

Movies are something that bring everyone together. No matter which genre you enjoy, there is a movie coming out this year that will fit your likes. The following are 15 of the most anticipated movies of 2020.

1. Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 

Directed by: Cathy Yan

Opening: February 7

Birds of Prey is a stand-alone film about Harley Quinn. In this movie, they cut ties                                           between her and the Joker. With the mixed reviews of the movie ‘Suicide Squad’, many are curious to see how Margot Robbie develops the character.  

2. A Quiet place Part II 

Directed by: John Krasinski 

Opening: March 20

After a movie that kept you on the edge of your seat and hanging onto every scene, there was great enthusiasm when it was announced that John Krasinski was making a sequel to ‘A Quiet Place.” The movie focuses on the same characters, but takes a turn with Emily Blunt’s character taking her kids outside of their ‘safe zone’. Also, this sequel introduces new characters and perhaps explores the idea of individuals with cruel intentions. 

3. Promising Young Woman 

Directed by: Emerald Fennell 

Opening: April 17

This upcoming drama thriller is Emerald Fennell’s directorial debut. The film focuses on a young woman, Cassie, played by Carey Mulligan. She had a promising future until a tragic incident impacts her future. While living what seemed to be at a standstill, it turns out that she lives a different life at night. This is definitely a movie to go see with the girls.

4. Mulan 

Directed by: Niki Caro

Opening: March 27

Disney continues the trend of live-action remakes with a tribute to the story of Mulan. It does not include the songs from the original movie, nor will it include Li Shang. This decision was made to ensure that the movie does justice to the original story of Mulan.

5. Wonder Woman 1984

Directed by: Patty Jenkins

Opening: June 5

The first Wonder Woman was one of the best DC movies to have come out since ‘The Dark Knight.’ With a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, it’s hard to see why people wouldn’t be excited about this upcoming film.

6. Black Widow 

Directed by: Cate Shortland

Opening: May 1

This is the first Marvel movie to kick off stage 4. This prequel focuses on Natasha Romanoff, also known as Blackwidow. Many believe that this film is long overdue, but that isn’t stopping the excitement towards this movie. 

7. Free Guy

Directed by: Shawn Levy 

Opening: July 3

Free Guys is a comedy starring Ryan Reynolds. He brings sarcasm and charm to his bank teller character. However, in this world, not everything is what it seems to be. This universe is all a game, and it looks at what happens when a character becomes self-aware. 

8. The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

Directed by: Micheal Chaves 

Opening: September 11

The most anticipated continuation to The Conjuring franchise still follows paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren. With this third installment, it focuses on a murder suspect that blamed demonic possession for his crimes. It will be the perfect horror movie to get into the Halloween spirit.

9. West Side Story 

Directed by: Steven Spielberg

Opening: December 18

This is definitely one for all the broadway enthusiasts. With this remake of West Side Story, it includes a more authentic feel to the story. It will be interesting to see Spielberg’s direction on the Broadway play and classic film.

10. Coming 2 America 

Directed by: Craig Brewer

Opening: December 18

Three decades later, Eddie Murphy is once again playing Prince Akeem- now with the title, King Akeem. This is a much-anticipated movie for those who grew up with the original.

11. Jungle Cruise

Directed by: Jaume Collet- Serra

Based on a theme park attraction, this movie stars Emily Blunt and Dwayne Johnson on a thrilling adventure. It takes us along with a scientist and riverboat captain looking for a magical cure. This is definitely one the whole family will enjoy.

12. Venom 2

Directed by: Andy Serkis

Opening: October 2

Not much is known about the Venom sequel, but with the way the first one ended, there is a lot of anticipation to see how Sony continues the story.

13. Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Directed by: Jason Reitman

Opening: July 10

Rather than this being a sequel to the all-female cast of the Ghostbusters released in 2016, this is a sequel to the originals. It is set 30 years after the second Ghostbusters where a family moves into a small town and discovers more about who their grandfather was.

14. The Assistant 

Directed by: Kitty Green

Opening: January 31

This movie has brought talk to Hollywood with its plot. The film follows a graduate student who started her career with a production company and what shady practices are used. 

15. The Woman in the Window 

Directed by: Joe Wright

Opening: May 15

Based on the book with the same name, Amy Adams takes on the role of a child psychologist. Shortly after she befriended her neighbor, played by Julianne Moore, she witnesses a murder. But, did it really happen or was it all in her head?

No matter what type of movies you enjoy, hopefully, one on this list has interested you to go and see in theaters. Go to the movies, get popcorn, and treat yourself. 

Image Sources: GIFs from Giphy.com

1/2/3/4/5/6

Kate Renz

Virginia Tech '22

Public relations major minoring in cinema. In my free time, I love to spend time with friends and watch movies!
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.