Mia Beckles: Hell on Heels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We see her gracefully walk across campus in pumps and girl’s jaws drop.  They jealously gaze after her stilettos and her natural confidence lingers in the air.  Ladies and gentlemen we get the “in” on how our Campus Celebrity Mia Beckles handles her books, her boys, and more importantly her heels. (And maybe a few pointers on how she manages to walk in them along the way)

Her Campus Virginia Tech:Okay Miss Fashionista, how exactly would you describe your style sense?

Mia Beckles:My style sense would best be described as a playful mix of the following women: Rihanna, Kate Spade, Audrey Hepburn and Victoria Beckham. I think those women are absolutely lovely.

HCVT: If you could compare your style and personality to one celebrity, fashion icon, etc. who would it be and why?

MB: Audrey Hepburn I would have to say has the most of my personality. She’s very earthy, but still very feminine and girlie. My favorite character she plays is that of Holly Golightly in Breakfast At Tiffany’s in which she and her love interest wander around New York and try silly fun things they’ve never done before. I’m the kind of girl that could easily romp around with 5 year olds in a tiara and a ball gown.

HCVT: We all know being a fashion icon on campus is hard work, but besides the daily wardrobe dilemma what else is taking up your agenda book?

MB: Where to begin! Fall is prime fashion season so I’m at home in D.C. whenever my weekend schedule permits. I had to miss Fashion’s Night Out for a test the next day. Ah, my life! But I’m also juggling an internship, getting ready for three beauty pageants this fall, and making sure I graduate in May successfully! I’ve also done a few modeling gigs in New York and D.C. but I’m hoping to get more involved once I graduate and my schedule opens up. Oh, and of course I adore shopping!

HCVT:Tell us your secrets to walking in high heels, I mean c’mon you’re pretty much a pro.

MB: Me? A pro? Hardly! I really have no secret except practice makes perfect! Honestly, I wear heels more often than I do flats. For example, sometimes I walk around my house and dorm room in heels and P.J.’s. There’s something absolutely transformative about walking around feeling 3 inches taller in gorgeous shoes. But on the occasion that my feet get tired or I have to ride my bike to class, I just whip out my ballet flats!

HCVT:What’s your ideal outfit to wear to class and why?

MB:Like shoes, professional clothes for class help keep me in the right state of mind for staying focused and mentally motivated. I generally like to stick with basic frame flattering conservative lines, shapes and colors that can easily be mixed and matched season after season. Like my mom always says, ‘Life is an interview, so you have to be prepared at any moment!’

HCVT:We’ve talked about extracurriculars, clothes, now on to the boys. So spill. Are you dating anyone?

MB: Well, let’s just say my shoe fixation seems to be the only constant guy at the moment. Stuart Weitzman, Michael Kors and Ralph Lauren treat me well, haha, but in the human guy department I’m currently a single pringle.

HCVT:If you could describe your dream guy in writing, what would he be like?

MB: Hmm, he’d be the perfect mix between Gene Kelly’s character in Singing in the Rain, Dan Humphrey in the TV series Gossip Girl and Matthew McConaughey. He’d be a delightfully funny, intelligent and confident guy that knows not to wear brown shoes with a black belt. But the real test is getting past my mom’s scrutiny, and she’s no-nonsense. Most importantly, I want someone who appreciates who I am, even when I wake up in the morning and don’t look like a fashionista. Am I reaching for the stars here?

HCVT:With all the stress from classes, boys, and extracurriculars, how do you de-stress and get a little QT with yourself?

MB: Fashion magazines are my obsession, definitely. I like pouring over them for wardrobe ideas and beauty tips. Also, I love attending fashion shows and writing about them in my blog and reading and writing about anything and everything. I love to work out and occasionally go downtown. And my family, I miss spending time with them more than anything, especially my cousins who are two of the most enchanting creatures you will ever meet. But the best R and R for me is giving myself a manicure, kicking back with a good book and a glass of wine, and reading a great book.

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!