Megan Weber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Her Campus Virginia Tech: What activities are you involved in at VT?
Megan Weber: Well, I am actively involved in Greek life and I could not imagine my collegiate years without it! Currently, I am serving as Gamma Phi Beta’s Chapter President and am the former Administrative Vice President (AVP). It certainly keeps me busy when I am not studying or in class, that’s for sure!

HCVT: What kinds of responsibilities come with those positions?
MW: As the AVP I was responsible for the chapter’s master calendar, monitoring and completing form submission, planning for International Officer visits, and ensuring that all of our officers were properly transitioned following elections. Being the president is quite different but I love it as well! I monitor chapter operations and assist in anything that any of the executive council officers may need as they lead their departments. It is a lot of different areas to be in tune with but I always embrace the variety of the tasks that I am presented with. Chapter morale falls under my responsibility wing as well. I definitely try to keep spirits high and a good energy throughout my sisters by just trying to bring a smile to their face when they need it! Compassion is definitely something that is important for me to lead with day in and day out!

HCVT: What is your greatest accomplishment?
MW: I really attribute the successes and accomplishments of our chapter to all of our officers and sisters and am so proud to be able to lead such an amazing group of women. It definitely is not just me! Being the newest sorority on campus, I think it has been most rewarding to see where we started and how far we’ve come. I can only imagine where we will go in the bright future that is ahead of us!

HCVT: What are your plans after graduation?
MW: To be quite honest, I am keeping my options open post-graduation! I know that a marketing degree has a lot of possibilities but I could see myself in the advertising industry down the road. I am very drawn to the creativity that this field allows and am fascinated by consumer behavior in response to advertising. Regardless, I absolutely plan on remaining very much involved with my sorority! Throughout my collegiate experience I have been lucky enough to meet alumnae that continue to inspire me through their work with the organization. It has given and taught me so much and I owe it to every member that has come before me to give back long after my collegiate years are over.

HCVT: What is your favorite thing about being a Hokie?
MW: The energy that runs within every Hokie. It is always wonderful to see happy faces on campus, students hard at work in the library, and of course the spirit that resonates within the Blacksburg community year-round. We definitely bleed maroon and orange!

HCVT: What advice would you give to upcoming Hokies?
MW: Stop and enjoy it every now and then! By enjoy, I mean take everything in. Enjoy every football game, every West End dinner with friends, every late movie night, every dance party in the hall of your dorm, and every drive blasting country music on your way to get frozen yogurt. I am a junior but I cannot believe how fast college has flown by. Sometimes I really have to remind myself to take a breath and just remember that this will all be just a memory one day.

HCVT: Do you have any advice for people looking to get involved at Tech?
MW: Keep an open mind and don’t worry! Opportunities for involvement are always waiting around every corner and we are so fortunate to have so many activities due to the size of our campus. It is easy to just follow what your friends do and become involved in whatever they like, but I would totally encourage everyone to do things for themselves! You never know who you will meet, or where you will end up. I have met some of my best friends by just being open to new experiences. It’s absolutely daunting for anyone to put themselves out there with so many students but in the end we’d all like to sit back in 20 years and say “I am so glad I did that,” rather than “I wish I had…”

HCVT: What is your most memorable moment at VT?
MW: Oh goodness, there are way too many to just pick one! I will say that I attribute some of my fondest memories at Tech to my Gamma Phi Beta sisters. They have been behind some of my biggest smiles, hardest laughs, and funniest moments. It makes me tear up to think that my time at Virginia Tech will be over in one year, but that is why you have to make the most of everything.

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!