Make the Most of the Upcoming School Year Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Some of us dread it, some of us anticipate it, the start of a new school year is upon us yet again.

Growing up I never enjoyed school very much. Even into my first years of college going to community college I was indifferent. Having always heard, “Your college years are the best years of your life.” I was extremely disappointed when that wasn’t the case for me. Not the case, until I became a Hokie.

People have been telling me since I was about sixteen to not wish away my life. From the time we are old enough to know that with age comes more freedom, we are constantly waiting and wishing to be older. Older so that we can start driving or dating, move away from our hometowns, go to college, start families of our own, etc. Whenever I would hear this I would just smile and laugh and think to myself what do they know about what I want? Jokes on me; all those people were speaking to me from hard earned and not easily acquired wisdom. I like to think I have a decent amount under my belt for my age but then I have another realization that makes me still feel a bit like a child.

We hear and see cheesy quotes constantly, but I am here to tell you ladies that we need to faithfully execute the cliché quote “Carpe Diem!”  We need to take advantage of every moment that we have given to us. This isn’t a lecture or philosophy lesson just a reminder that our time in college is short-lived.

Ladies put your studies first. Let’s be real, that is the sole reason we are here. But don’t you dare miss out on a single moment of fun! We have our whole lives ahead of us to work and be completely responsible adults.

Join that club you’ve been dying to be a part of, you will make some truly special friends.

Go to every tailgate for all seven home games and celebrate the away ones from home.

Jump to Enter Sandman like your life depends on it.

Don’t be afraid to go to functions on campus, meet some fellow Hokies.

Try every restaurant in town and bar too.

Watch the sunset from the Pylons and picnic on the Drillfield.

Make it a mission to snap a picture with the Hokie Bird and our favorite celebrity Frank Beamer.

Take some time for yourself. Relax and breathe. A little R & R is never ever a bad thing!

Don’t forget about your family because they are and always will be your number one support system.

Our time on this earth is fleeting but our time in college is even more so. Take advantage of every opportunity and every moment that you have as a Hokie. You will regret it if you don’t!

Image Sources 1/2/3 

Eva Cregger

Virginia Tech '20

An old soul with modern views of the world that loves movies, music, traveling and anything sweet. Majoring in Communication Studies at Virginia Tech. I am a proud Hokie & HerCampus member
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.