This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We’ve all heard about contouring by now. Whether you’ve tried it or not, you have to admit, it has intrigued you. Maybe you haven’t tried it yet because it looks like a lot of work. Or, maybe you have tried it, loved it, but think it’s too much to do everyday. Well, it doesn’t have to be. Take it from someone who contours nearly every day: contouring is not as hard or as time consuming as it seems. Here’s how to get that chiseled Kim K look in a fraction of the time:

1.    Create a blank canvas.

First things first: prep your face. The first thing you do should always be creating a flawless, glowing canvas with a great foundation. From there, the rest is easy.

Extra tip: Get a foundation that matches your skin! There’s nothing worse than a tan face and a pale body or vice versa.

A good, (cheap) foundation is Fit Me! By Maybelline.

2.    Choose easy-to-use products.

Cream contours are beautiful when properly blended. When cream and powder are used, it’s like an angel blessed your face. But all that beauty blending takes time. Powders are a lot easier to blend and faster to use. When you’re in a rush, reach for the powder not the cream.

Anastasia Beverly Hills contour kit is amaze-balls. It’s on the expensive side but totally worth the hype.

3.    Work with the right tools.

Owning a sculpting contour brush will change your life. It makes contouring almost impossible to mess up. The brush does all the sculpting for you. The powder goes exactly where intended, and you don’t have to worry about cleaning up your contour afterwards.

Real Techniques has great quality brushes for half the price. Find their sculpting brush here.

4.    Skip highlighting.

I know the makeup fanatics are about to lose their marbles at this statement, but seriously, it’s okay not to highlight. Usually highlighting and contouring go together like maroon and orange. But a contour can look pretty fantastic without highlighting, and it’ll save you so much time. You will still be able to make your features pop by just contouring. The trick to making the contour work without its partner in crime is a good foundation. Like I mentioned before, that should always be your first step.

5.    Use the ‘3’ technique.

You may have seen this technique when it surfaced about a year ago. If you don’t know exactly where to contour, just draw the number ‘3’ on the right side and the letter ‘E’ on the left side, both starting at your temple, curving to your cheek and ending at your chin. It’s pretty much a fool-proof way to contour.

Now go forth and contour!

Sara is a Junior at VT studying Multimedia Journalism and Africana Studies. Way to her heart: Taco Bell, makeup, shopping. In that order.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!