Ladies Boxing Night!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

This past Thursday, the Her Campus Virginia Tech team held their first calendar event for Women’s Month 2017: Ladies Boxing Night! In line with the Women’s Center 2017 theme — Empowerment & Unity: Collective Voices in Action, Ladies Boxing Night encouraged a physically empowering and unifying experience. 

The event was open to all women in the surrounding area with the desire to try a boxing training session, in a setting catered specifically for women. In addition to the exclusive training session, attendees were given the opportunity to score some amazing prizes! Held at Blacksburg Boxing and Fitness off of South Main, the event garnered support from the Virginia Tech Women’s Center and featured a prominent PINK presence. 

The workout featured pulse-raising cardio and power-intensive strength training circuits directed by four trainers: Kevin (owner), Jerome, Matt and Hunter. After an initial warm-up, we got into the boxing basics.The ladies brushed up on the correct form for jabs, punches, hooks and uppercuts before beginning a circuit of 10 intensive stations. 

The circuits featured ab work, hand-eye coordination on the speed bags and many other training focuses to better speed, agility, strength and stamina.

Offering an assortment of fitness goodies, the Virginia Tech PINK Campus Team participated alongside team members from HC Virginia Tech, undergraduate women and women from the community. From the VT PINK Campus team, winners entered to win prizes like: PINK headbands, limited edition PINK dogs, mini mists and much more!

From the HC team, prizes were courtesy of Naccessories and Freely, with post-workout beverages provided by Sparkling Ice. From Naccessories, product included the More Coffee MugCha Cha Pom Pom earrings and a Rock N Roll vegan leather studded choker. As an online accessory boutique, Naccessories delivers a careful curation of one-of-a-kind accessories with a price that will leave you beaming from Cha Cha Pom Pom-clad ear to Cha Cha Pom Pom-clad ear. 

Freely encompasses the disciplined collegiette’s favorite motto of “work hard, play hard.” With a minimal and punctual aesthetic on the Freely Instagram feed and a similarly tasteful website, you can find ALL of your study mugs and tees at Freely. The lucky winners received one of two mugs or a Freely “Study Hair, Don’t Care” t-shirt.

The goal of Ladies Boxing Night was to celebrate and empower women with a physically-demanding and rewarding sport such as boxing. Likewise, the additional support from on campus organizations and with the help of the aforementioned brands, we believe it was a SMASHING success!

Be sure to check out Blacksburg Boxing and Fitness, and stay tuned for more events! 

Image Sources: Blacksburg Boxing and Fitness / Ladies Boxing Night Event Page / Photo Album (Photos by Sara Joy-Hogg and Monica Becerra)

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.