This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Kelley English is a senior marketing management major. She is a dedicated member of Sigma Kappa, a former OL (she was mine), is currently a member of the Class of 2013 Leadership Team and the list just keeps on going. She’s a lover of all things Hokie and is super excited to be on homecoming court!

Her Campus Virginia Tech: What made you decide to be on Homecoming court?
Kelley English: When my sorority nominated me for Homecoming, I couldn’t have felt more humbled. To be able to represent a University that has given me so many special opportunities and memories is a dream come true. I cannot wait to be able to show Virginia Tech how fun one of its oldest traditions can be!

HCVT: What has been your favorite part so far about being on Homecoming court?
KE: My favorite part about being on Homecoming Court is definitely the opportunity to meet people I might not otherwise have been able to. I am the kind of person who loves to hear everyone’s story; I love to understand what makes each person the way they are. The ability to meet my peers on the court as well as externally within numerous organizations will by far be the most rewarding.

HCVT: What other activities are you involved in on campus?
KE: I am first and foremost an active member of Sigma Kappa Sorority. While being involved with positions in recruitment and now as Vice President of Philanthropic Services, I have created amazing bonds with some of the most motivated and loving women on campus. Our undeniable passion to fight Alzheimer’s disease is the sole reason I love organizing our philanthropic efforts.

Along with my involvement in Sigma Kappa Sorority, I have been heavily involved in the Class of 2013 Leadership Team and New Student Programs. I was on the Ring Design committee and had the opportunity to hold the title of Ring Dance Chair for the Class of 2013. Being able to share the passion of such a renowned tradition was more than I could have ever asked for.

I was an Orientation Leader for summer 2011 and have been involved with Hokie Camp since the moment my mother signed me up to attend in fall 2009. I went from camper, to counselor and then to Executive Team member and would not have traded any of those experiences for the world. To have the opportunity to welcome a future student into the Hokie Family and make them feel as comfortable as I did is exactly why I have loved my experiences with New Student Programs so much.

I am an intern for Virginia Tech IMG Sports Marketing where I get the opportunity to capture activation for all Virginia Tech Athletics’ sponsors. From game day promotions to designing new ideas in order to increase ticket sales, I am definitely the ultimate Virginia Tech sports nut.

In terms of community service, I participate in Relay for Life and Big Event each year, which are put on by incredible committees as well as Greeks Giving Back. Along with these organized service opportunities, my sorority volunteers regularly at the retirement home, Warm Hearth Village. We go every Sunday and play Bingo with the residents as well as host a staged prom for them each year.

HCVT: How has going Greek shaped you as a person?
KE: Going Greek has definitely allowed me to fulfill the true meaning of Ut Prosim. It opened doors through basic connections between organizations and has made our university seem incredibly small. Our Greek community is much different than the general Greek stereotypes you see in movies or television shows and it’s that distinct difference that has me head over heels. Regardless of the organization, our chapters raise incredible amounts of money for their specific philanthropies and make such an impact with whatever we do. We have a community that is not afraid to come together and do random slip and slides or get-togethers regardless of the letters on your chest. Beyond any of that, going Greek has helped me grow into the woman I am today. I was able to have a group of women behind me throughout the adversities in college. Throughout the journey of finding my niche or my direction in life, I was never alone. I am not Greek for four years, I am Greek for life and more importantly I am a Greek Hokie for life—I could never be more proud.

HCVT: What’s you favorite thing about Virginia Tech?
KE: My favorite thing about Virginia Tech is the sense of community and service. The university’s motto has shaped my life and I have never felt so at home. People truly care about each other here; they open doors, they smile to strangers. There are a number of reasons why people fall in love with our university but even more explaining why they stay in love. Between beautiful walks during fall, sporting events and plenty of opportunities to give back to the community, Virginia Tech is home. Throughout my childhood, I was never given the chance to make the marks on doorframes showing my growth but I have definitely succeeded in doing so at VT. My first etches in my Hokie doorframe were getting involved right away, adding more throughout my studies and athletic events I attended, etching even more marks with my involvement with class leadership and new student programs and will continue to add more marks to my journey before I walk across that stage and receive my diploma. I will step through my doorframe ready to take on the world and prove what it means to be a graduate of Virginia Tech.

HCVT: And lastly, why should people vote for you for Homecoming Queen?
KE: Homecoming is more than just two crazy weeks in October where Virginia Tech students wander the campus in crazy colored shirts and drill field pedestrians try to avoid flyers. It is a tradition that has lasted throughout the decades. Our entire university comes together to celebrate yet another beautiful year at the best university in the nation. Anyone that knows me well knows that I am ALL ABOUT tradition. My slogan is “Give ‘Em Kell- Touchdown for the Crown” but my campaign is all about getting Virginia Tech students involved in the university. You joined a new club or service opportunity? TOUCHDOWN. You found your niche of friends and finally know what you want to do in life? TOUCHDOWN. The list goes on and on. My campaign is an encouraging movement in which everyone’s successes are noticed, no matter how big or small. Griffining may be the next Tebowing but Kelley-ing is by far the newest rage and I’d love to invite you to throw your arms in the air and join. Throughout my involvement and infatuation with Virginia Tech, I have learned that regardless of how busy you may be—Virginia Tech encourages us to explore, have fun, join the movement and Give ‘Em Kell.

Megan is a sophomore at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. She is pursuing her B.A. in Communications with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism as well as a B.A. in Spanish Language. She is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. Megan updates her personal blog daily, and had a weekly blog as a Contributing Blogger for Her Campus Virginia Tech during her freshman year. As a dedicated member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, Megan serves as the official blogger. Megan's interest in journalism began with her involvement with her high school's newspaper; where she served as an assistant section editor and a section editor her sophomore and junior years. She was the managing editor her senior year. In her free time, Megan enjoys running and competing in races, reading on her Kindle, and taking photos.