This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Due to the circumstances surrounding COVID-19, many of us have packed up our dorms and are sitting amongst boxes in our childhood bedrooms. Others of us have decided to stay on campus. Either way, you’re going to be mostly confined to this space, and it’s time for a deep clean. When your room is as messy as mine was (you couldn’t close my closet because of the heap of clothes spilling out), the task can seem daunting. Impossible, even. But as a fellow slob, I’m here to tell you: it can be done. Use a checklist like the following to make spring cleaning more manageable!

1.It’s Laundry Day 

Search every nook and cranny for dirty laundry. Check behind your desk for misplaced socks – trust me, they’re back there – and make a pile. This pile will go in the washing machine as soon as possible. Don’t forget to make separate loads for bedding and towels. That way, as your things are being washed and then dried, you can get everything else done. Voila, no time wasted! You’re such a multitasker. 

Lindsay Thompson-Miami Laundry Posing Vintage Pensive
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
2.Reorganize your Drawers

All of them, from your dresser to your desk. Throw away last semester’s papers (barring the important ones), old flyers, and stained or otherwise unsalvageable clothes. Throw out empty containers you’ve been keeping around for no reason: I, for example, forget to throw out empty shampoo bottles. Stick your old textbooks in your closet if you want to keep them, or sell them online! If you’ve got gently used clothing or other miscellaneous items, consider dropping them off at your local thrift store. Chances are, the remainder of your classwork will be submitted online, so go through the old folders on your computer and purge your computer of unnecessary files. Make new folders for your classes so you can keep things organized and easy to find. These are great ways to free up both physical and digital space.

3.Check Expiration Dates

Is there a funny smell coming from your fridge? It’s definitely that caprese salad you’ve been storing for three weeks. Throw it out, but don’t stop there: check any expiration date you can find, from food to makeup to nail polish to skincare. You’ll be surprised how much stuff you end up trashing. Many of us hoard perishables like these and don’t realize how few of them we actually use in time.

Messy Makeup Table Flatlay
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
4.Disinfect, Disinfect, Disinfect

Ew, germs. They’re everywhere. Use disinfecting wipes to clean every surface you can find, from desks to shelves to the sink and fridge. Clean your toilet and shower, all of your counter space. If you’ve got any dirty dishes (admit it, you do), wash them by hand or chuck them into the dishwasher. Dust your closet before you put your newly washed clothes back in it. Clean off the food stains inside your microwave. Sweep and vacuum the floor – and steam it, if possible. And don’t forget to wipe down commonly used items like your TV remote, laptop and mouse. This is probably going to be the most daunting task of all, but it’s necessary. 

5. Treat Yourself

You just accomplished a lot. Sit down, have a snack, and mindlessly scroll through Instagram for a bit. Admire your clean environment and send a picture to your mom, who will surely be impressed. You’ve earned it. 

Spring cleaning can be a monotonous task, but this year, it’s pretty important. As social distancing and self-quarantining are becoming new responsibilities, you’ll want to keep your space clean so you can remain happy and healthy. Be safe, and remember to wash your hands!

Caitlyn Simson

Virginia Tech '23

Professional Technical Writing and Creative Writing double major, International Public Policy and German double minor. Tea enthusiast, dog person, proud Hokie.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.