Introducing: Neckid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Apparently, my Katy Perry-like party habits have caused more than just a couple of sloshed tabletop
dances and killer hangovers. Front and center for many of my award winning performances was none other than my dear friend Joey. When we hit the bars, he was awarded with the privilege of holding onto my keys, phone and such in his pockets. He begrudgingly agreed, of course, knowing full well that if he didn’t do it he’d be accompanying me the next morning on a full tour of downtown Blacksburg looking for all my stuff. Like I’ve told him, it’s not my fault skinny jeans have nonexistent pockets. Can I get an amen?

During his time at Radford, Joey noticed many other girls having the same problem of holding onto their belongings. Especially the girls who jam cigarette packs and phones in their cleavage… you know who you are. Practically living in a frat house, he couldn’t recall how many times girls came back to the house hysterical and frantic looking for their lost clutch or phone. Not only was it gone but the idea of shoving things between your boobs for safekeeping has to go too. After witnessing this, he started to believe that there was a growing need for a product to solve this issue. A product that could
carry all of a girl’s essentials and allow them to be hands free. This would alleviate girls of having to lug around and keep track of a purse all night. And better yet, it would save guys from having to search through gutters for lost cell phones. Let’s face it,bringing a clutch or purse downtown or to a party is risky. How easy is it to leave your clutch on the bar when you go to grab your drink or it falls off your hand when you’re cutting up the rug on the dance floor. Needless to say the opportunities are endless when it comes to losing your stuff. He knew that the best ideas are the ones that solve a problem, but where to start? He had no clue, and even worse, was flat broke. But, he knew that if he saw a product like his concept years down the road he wouldn’t be able to forgive himself for not trying.

The simple realization encouraged him to build legitimate business months after graduating. He didn’t know anything about fashion or handbags for that matter. In fact, his to-go outfits consisted of a red Quad Fest Mad Dog t-shirt from 2007, and he recycled the same wrinkled polos every weekend. Needless to say he was no fashionista or turning heads by any means. Realizing that he needed help fast, he tracked down a consulting team in L.A. that agreed to help bring his concept to life. After a brutally long development stage, the product has finally gotten to the point he had envisioned. He created the company Neckid and began mass producing his product in China. With no other products on the market quite like it, he decided to innovate its very own product category to associate it with. The product, known as the Joey.

The Joey consists of a slim pouch attached to a necklace. A clasp at the top of the pouch allows the
functionality of being able to attach it to any necklace of your choice. A Joey fits a cell phone, keys, credit cards, cash and etc. It truly is the first and only product that can hold onto all of your essentials in a fashionable and utilitarian manner! The Joey’s slim appearance allows one to wear it beneath a shirt or dress so no one knows you have anything on you.

Yes, I am the inspiration for the brand new product that is transcending the way women carry their essentials, but so are all of you. Thanks to the Joey, I don’t have to kick over tables to look for my cell phone anymore. Now, I can just do the Bernie on them.

Photo credit: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephanie-Messick-Photography/290024201032090

Mallory Smith is a senior Sociology major at Scripps College, located in sunny Claremont, CA. Born in Denver, Colorado, Mallory spent her time growing up between England, China and The United States. As a result, she loves to travel and explore new places and cultures. In Claremont Mallory is editor of the Life and Style section of The Student Life Newspaper. She also writes for Beyond the Elms, Scripps College’s Career Planning and Resources blog, where she is writing about her soon-to-be journey into the real world. In her free time Mallory enjoys going to art galleries in downtown Los Angeles, hiking, going to the beach and scuba diving whenever she gets the chance.