I Tried the Korean Skincare Routine and Fell in Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Korean beauty tips have been used by people all around the world to achieve the flawless, glowing skin that Koreans are known for. Recently, I have been taking more interest in skincare because it is so important that we take care of our skin and make sure it always gets the amount of TLC it needs. I decided to try this famous routine because my ultimate goal is clear, healthy skin. I have been doing this routine for the past two weeks and can already see a difference.

The Korean routine has morning and night components that you are expected to follow every day to achieve the skin you desire. The routine is an extensive 8-10 step process, but the secret behind Korean skincare, and porcelain skin, is layering products. It may seem like too much, and it might be a little pricey to collect all the different products, but in the end it will be worth it and your skin will thank you!

Morning routine:

1. Wash your face with water only, to remove dirt and small impurities. (No cleanser even though most of us are probably used to this.)

2. Toner, this is used to balance your pH levels, which evens out your skin tone and reduces redness and discoloration.

Recommended product: Witch Hazel Rose Petal Toner

1. Essence, a combination of toner and serum that helps hydrate skin. Usually a lighter substance than a serum but essentially does the same thing. Essences add another layer of hydration before adding on ampoules and serums.

Recommended product: Missha ‘Time Revolution ‘First Treatment Essence Mist

1. Ampoule, like a serum, but is not for everyday use. Use when skin needs extra care or when your skin needs help with specific, targeted areas.

2. Serum, concentrated formula that can address concerns of hydration, anti-aging, skin brightening, etc. They come in different forms, usually in an oil form.

Recommended product: Loreal Revitalift Serum

1. Eye cream, thick cream specifically for your under eyes. Helps prevent wrinkles and helps with dark circles. (It is important to start using eye cream while you’re young so you benefit from it as you age).

Recommended product: Mizon Snail Repair Eye Cream

1. Moisturizer, nothing special here just use your favorite moisturizer to hydrate your skin.

Recommended product: Ponds Moisturizers

1. SPF, yes — you read that right, sunscreen. Even though it seems silly to apply sunscreen to your face on an average day, it is beneficial for you to protect your skin from harsh UV rays.

Night routine:

1. Oil based cleanser, the first step to gently remove left over makeup and impurities (that the makeup wipe didn’t get).

Recommended product: Simple Kind to Skin Cleansing Oil

1. Water based cleanser, removes oil and residue that has collected throughout the day and preps skin for the rest of the steps.

Recommended product: Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel

1. Exfoliate only twice a week, to remove dead skin cells. You can use a store-bought scrub, or make your own out of natural products.

Recommended product: Aveeno Positively Radiant Skin Brightening Exfoliating Daily Scrub

1. Toner

2. Essence

3. Ampoule

4. Serum

5. *Korean beauty favorite* Sheet mask, (Use as often as you want) targets whatever problem you’d like to focus on that day (hydrating, anti-aging, illuminating, revitalizing, etc), depending on the type of mask you get.

Recommended product: ‘I’m Real’ Sheet Mask

1. Eye cream

2. Moisturizer

All of these steps can be used with the products of your choice, just make sure you know what’s in the products you’re putting on your face and that it’s going to help you with the problem areas you need. If ever in doubt about a product, natural skin care products are the way to go!

Follow each of these steps, in the order they are listed in and stick to the morning and night routine directions. It may seem overwhelming at first, but the results are flawless, healthy skin.

Image sources: 1/3

Kathrinna Hammon

Virginia Tech

I'm public relations and fashion merchandising and design major, i'm from Woodbridge, VA, I love beauty and fashion and writing for Her Campus at Virginia Tech.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!