This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Winter is here and in full effect! It’s already snowed in Blacksburg twice, we’ve experienced a handful of days where the weather has been below 30 degrees and lots of windy days walking across the drillfield. A lot of people hate winter for obvious reasons, but I, for one, am a part of the weird group of people who love it.  Why? Because the outfit options are endless! Colder temps call for more creativity in staying warm but also being cute. Here’s some easy tips to winter proof even the cutest outfits.

Layering

Layering is awesome because it allows you to wear so many outfits at once. Unzip your warmest outer layer to reveal at least two more warm and trendy looks. The basics of layering include a sweat wicking base layer, button up, cable knit sweater, light jacket, and finally your marshmallow down jacket.

Accessorize

Gloves, hats, and scarfs don’t have to be worn just for warmth. They can quickly take your winter outfit up a notch by adding color and detail. I love wearing patterned scarves, embellished beanies and cute mittens.

Boots

It’s pretty much time to ditch the flats and heels. However, there a million different boots that are sure to keep your toes dry, comfy and warm. Switch up between bright colored rain boots, Uggs, patterned duck boots and eskimo snow shoes.

My Favorite Sneaky Extra

I have one last tip that is a must for extremely cold days. In December I like to stock up on hand, foot and body warmers! They’re hidden underneath your clothes and keep you warm for hours. I especially love these for party nights when I don’t want to have to lug around a heavy coat but don’t want to sacrifice staying warm.

So here’s to a great semester and lots of stylish snow days! Image Sources: /2/3/4/5/6/7/8/1

Hey y'all! I'm a freshman majoring in Multimedia Journalism and Fashion Merchandising & Design. I love all things fashion and beauty and especially writing about them! I dream of one day working for a major fashion magazine in the big city. Until then, you can find me scrolling through Pinterest, watching makeup tutorials, and online shopping!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!