Life > Academics

How To Get Back Into the In-Person Class Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

After a year of virtual classes, it has been a challenge to attend in-person classes, no matter if you have had previous experience with in-person classes or if this is your first time. That brings the challenge of getting back into the routine of in-person classes when it has been a year and a half of completely virtual. This article includes some tips that could help you transition back into the “normal” college experience. 

Have a consistent schedule

When attending in-person classes, a consistent schedule keeps you motivated to finish your work. Waking up at the same time every day or close to it can help anyone maintain a balanced school and work schedule. While college schedules differ from day to day, having some sort of consistent schedule helps manage time when it comes to homework and organizations outside of class.

Work on time management

Along with having a consistent schedule, working on time management is essential to any student. While being virtual, it was easy to roll out of bed a few minutes before class and work on homework in between classes. However, it becomes harder to manage time when you have to consider travel time to in-person classes. Working on time management can help you finish work in time. Some tips include work in between classes, complete “busy work” assignments first then focus on the bigger assignments and set your due date early. 

Start working ahead

Working ahead is not only a great way to get ahead in classes but helps you stay on that consistent schedule. Have a specific time you focus on one of your classes and finish all your work for the week. Start working on the following week’s assignments or even get ahead on the readings. A tip I always use to help me with this is to create a personal due date. That way, you are motivated to get ahead early and set goals on deadlines. Overall, it is a great way to help yourself in the future when midterms come around and when being in-person classes seem a bit overwhelming.

Get to know your professors

While it may seem daunting at first, getting to know your professors can help in the long run. If you ever have an emergency or just need help with a class, knowing your professors can make that process easier if you start now. In-person classes bring challenges that virtual classes did not have, so knowing your professors and having them know you can help adjust to being back on campus.

In the end, while in-person classes can be difficult after a year and a half of being virtual, some tips can help when transitioning. Overall, it is best to make sure you take care of yourself first and foremost.

Kate Renz

Virginia Tech '22

Public relations major minoring in cinema. In my free time, I love to spend time with friends and watch movies!