Life > Experiences

How To Create A Realistic Summer Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Summer is quickly approaching and we all want to make the most of summer 2023. I’ve noticed that when I make summer bucket lists a lot of the time, they aren’t fully checked off. This is because we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to have the most amazing summer of our lives and we need to have more realistic expectations. I’ve thought of a few ways to create a realistic summer bucket list so that you can make the most of your summer. 

plan accordingly

Oftentimes, plans fall apart because we don’t put enough time into planning them. At the beginning of the summer, it’s best to plan any big trips or events ahead of time. That way, you can book reservations early and don’t spend as much money on last-minute decisions. Depending on how big the trip/event is, it’s best to plan at least 2 months in advance.

free activities

We all want to have an amazing summer, but it can get pretty expensive. A ton of the best activities don’t cost a thing and your bank account will thank you later. These can include hiking or other physical activities at your local parks and rivers. Volunteering is another great opportunity. I always feel a lot better after I’ve helped somebody else out. Free activities overall are easy add-ons to a bucket list and are very financially smart. 

get a membership

Summer is a time when we all want to look and feel our best. There are tons of memberships to choose from, such as Orangetheory, CycleBar, or any local gym membership. These are definitely investments, but they are very worthwhile and are a great addition to a summer bucket list.

local activities

One of the easiest ways to fill your summer bucket list is to find events and activities around your town. These are very attainable because most of these events are free and close by. Most towns hold Fourth of July parades and weekly farmer’s markets which are great additions to a bucket list. This is a great way to get involved locally and have a great time while doing it. 

Try some of these items to spice up your summer and for a chance to try something new!

Allera Bee

Virginia Tech '26

My name is Allera (Ally) Bee and I am a student at Virginia Tech. I am from Cincinnati, Ohio and I am studying multimedia journalism.