How to Simplify Your Fall Makeup Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

If you wear makeup and are anything like me, you always set your alarms at night planning to wake up with plenty of time in the morning to get ready for the day. Yet, you somehow manage to sleep through all seven alarms and are rushed to get out the door.

If you’re ever in a hurry, or just want to simplify your look while still looking fresh and awake, here are my best tips for your makeup routine this fall:

1.  Focus on the skin

Taking care of your skin should always be a priority in your morning routine, especially if you tend to wear makeup daily. Cleansing your skin before applying makeup is a must. Remember to always follow up with a moisturizer and sunscreen as well, regardless if you have oily or dry skin.

Since it is fall after all, I recommend putting on a thin layer of moisturizer right before applying any makeup onto your skin, as the cooler weather can cause skin to become drier than it would normally be. Applying moisturizer directly before any face products can help to prevent your makeup from clinging to dry patches, causing a caked-on look.

It may seem like a lot of steps, but trust me, once you get into the routine you’ll realize that it really isn’t that bad. Taking good care of your skin is always worth it and will help to make any makeup you put onto your skin blend and look a lot better.

2. Skip the foundation

If you are used to wearing foundation every day, cutting it out of your routine may feel strange at first, but let’s be real, who has time for all of that blending if you are in a rush? On days when you want a little more coverage, there is nothing wrong with applying foundation, but if you want to simplify your routine, then concealer is the way to go.

Applying concealer to only the places where you need it is a great way to get the clean canvas effect without foundation. I recommend applying some under the eyes, on the chin, forehead, any pimples or spots you may have and a little bit on your eyelids if you want to cover up any veins or discoloration.

3. Use cream products

I have come to love cream products as opposed to powders due to the fact that they blend so effortlessly, and have this natural effect to them that make it look like your real skin. Popping on some cream blush and highlighter can help achieve that fresh and natural look. Another perk is that they blend the best with your fingers, which is great when you are in a rush. No need to pull out your blending sponges and brushes with these products.

4. The lips are everything

My final and favorite tip for simplifying your makeup routine is to apply your favorite fall lip color. Lipstick is the ultimate hack, making it seem like you spent a lot more effort into your makeup than you actually did. No one will be able to tell your makeup took all but five minutes when your lips are poppin’.

Whether you overslept yet again, or your bed was just too warm to get out of, trying out these tips, or even incorporating a few of them into your own makeup routine, are bound to help cut down the time it takes to do your makeup this fall.

Image Sources: GIFs from Giphy.com

Sarah Carr

Virginia Tech '20

Sarah is a current senior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in sociology. 
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!