How to Make Your First Semester at Virginia Tech a Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It’s your first semester of college, and you have no idea what to expect. Well, let me tell you, your world is going to change. I know for myself and for many of my friends, we wish there were some things people told us before starting our first semester at VT. Don’t fear, I’m here to give you a few tips that will help you succeed. 

First thing first, say yes to EVERYTHING!! Well, within reason. Step out of your comfort zone and try something new. For me, my roommate freshman year asked if I wanted to go to Goat Yoga with her and some of her friends (yes, Goat Yoga is just as ridiculous as it sounds). I said yes and ended up meeting some of the best people who later on became my best friends. You never know what the day/night could lead to, and there’s always a new opportunity for an adventure and a chance to make memories. 

In many dorms, keeping your door open is common, and everybody does it. However, for some, it is not. My freshman year, I lived in New Hall West, and let’s just say that everyone basically kept to themselves. My roommate and I were determined to change that. We always had our door open and said hi to people who passed by in the hall. It was a great way to get to know people and to make the hall more lively. By keeping your door open, you make new friends, and everyone always ends up in your room hanging out! 

The best way to help your first day to go smoothly is to scout out where your classes are. Walk around campus and find where all of your classes are. Most of the buildings are open so you can even walk in and see where your exact classroom is. This is really helpful because then when the day comes for your first class, you won’t be lost and you’ll look like you know what you are doing. 

College is one of the hardest things you will go through. You will get sick, miss classes, or even be lost in all the material you are learning. Making at least one friend in all your classes will help you get access to notes, the information you missed, and even a study buddy for your exams. Making friends, especially in your major, won’t only benefit you in your first semester but also throughout your entire career at VT. It is also essential to make friends with your UTAs. They aren’t much older than you, and it wasn’t too long ago when they were in your shoes. They can give you helpful tips, especially about what classes to take and which professors are excellent and which ones aren’t.

Go to Gobblerfest. It may sound kind of lame at first, but it really helps when you are trying to figure out what clubs to join. There is one must for Gobblerfest, the Kroger tent! You get coupons, free food, and much more. It doesn’t matter how long you go for, you will still get so much stuff and learn a lot about what our campus has to offer.  

Virginia Tech is a pretty big campus; thus, you are going to be walking A LOT, or riding the bus A LOT. Either way, you should make a “Walking Around Campus” playlist. It should be filled with all your favorite songs, but also ones that are going to get you excited and ready for the day. 

Take it from someone who is now a junior in college, you will cry (a lot), but that’s okay. College is stressful, and sometimes it gets to you. If you are stressed out about college, I highly suggest taking a break, ordering some cookies and just letting your mind relax for a little while. School is important, but so is your mental health. 

College is fantastic, and so is Virginia Tech. You are going to make so many memories and meet the people who are going to change your life forever. You never know what’s around the corner so always take a chance on something new. While school is essential and should be taken seriously, living the college experience and making memories are just as important. Take the time to go for walks around campus, go out to dinner with friends, and make memories. 

All Gifs Sourced From Giphy.com

Taylor Sheffield

Virginia Tech '21

I am passionate about traveling, learning about the world, hanging out with my friends, and being outdoors! I love being a Human Nutrition Food and Exercise major as well as Political Science and Psychology minors. Hoping that once I graduate, I can travel the world for a year, and then apply to Physical Therapy school and go on to work as a Women's Health Physical Therapist or for a military hospital.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.