This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

With only a month between now and the start of 2023, it is time that I start preparing for a new chapter. As cliche as New Year’s resolutions can be, there is a great difference between setting resolutions versus actually sticking to them. Before the hectic rush of the holiday season, I am utilizing my time to get a head start on preparing my intentions for 2023 and to simplify the process, I created four steps that I will be prioritizing.

Reflecting on relationships

The people you spend time with can massively impact your life, for better and for worse. If I were to reflect on my relationships with friends or a romantic partner and realize that they are draining me, I will put myself first and leave behind those that are negatively impacting my well-being. With this in mind, I plan to focus on healthy relationships that offer me support, respect and love. I will always choose one authentic friendship over having an exceedingly large number of acquaintances who aren’t there for me.

Slowly changing my habits

The common mistake with New Year’s resolutions is people expect the process of change and improvement to be quick. Going full speed with resolutions will only lead to burnout and that is why so many people quit only a couple of weeks later. My practical approach is to take things slowly by implementing manageable habits into my daily routine. With my resolution for fitness, for example, I have started working out three times a week, and will gradually add more sessions until I meet my goal. This time of year is when gyms are at their lowest attendance rates too, so I plan on taking advantage and getting a kickstart with my resolutions.

Doing a Media cleanse

With every type of media that I consume; including music, tv shows, books and social media apps, I will be eliminating any that are distracting or destructive for me. Although there is an immense pressure to follow popularized media, I won’t force it if I don’t enjoy it. What I watch, read and listen to should align with my goals and priorities. With social media, I have begun unfollowing accounts that negatively impact me and instead follow accounts tailored to my interests in fitness and travel. Media is completely subjective, so I plan on taking full control of what I consume and not following the crowd.

Branching out

When I think of starting a new chapter, I am immediately drawn to trying new things, with the hope of finding passions I have not yet realized. Along with writing a list of resolutions, I am writing down all of the activities I want to try in the upcoming year. My top three interests include kickboxing, crocheting and joining a volunteer organization. There is a lot of opportunity with trying new things as I aim to learn more about each activity and in the process, potentially meet new people.

Regardless of the time of year, I will always strive for self-improvement and embrace change. There are so many different approaches to New Year’s resolutions but the only way for any of those to be effective is by staying consistent and patient. I have full confidence in myself that I will achieve my desired goals and be proud of my successes. However, what I find most important is not to focus too hard on the end result, but rather stay present through the entire journey, discomfort and all.

Sydney Kumor

Virginia Tech '25

Virginia Tech junior majoring in Business Management with a minor in Political Science. Part of the Her Campus writing team with a strong passion for creative writing, cooking and coffee!