This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I read a decent amount of books last year, I even exceeded my reading goal by a few books but I still wished I read more. With all the books that have come out recently and the books that are coming out this year, I want to make more time for reading. So, here’s how I plan on reading more this year.

Making a TBR jar: This might be silly but I was super excited to do this. I wrote down every book I brought to Tech on a slip of paper and put it in the jar. So, anytime I can’t decide what to read, I can pick something out. This is a fun way for me to want to pick another book. 

Taking a book with me everywhere: This one is pretty simple and I’m good at bringing a book around with me to class but outside of that, I don’t. I want to at least have my Kindle with me at all times so I can read wherever and whenever I have a chance.

Tracking my books: I don’t know about you but I love keeping track of how many books I’ve read. I’ve been doing this for a few years now but I want to stay up to date with it. I track my reading by using Goodreads, Bookly, and a reading journal. It seems excessive but I love seeing my progress.

Reading whatever I’m feeling: Recently I have been really into romance so I brought a ton of romance books from home to read here. Odds are, I won’t read all of them but I like having options. I also brought other books outside of romance that I have been dying to read. 

DNF-ing any books I don’t enjoy: I won’t be forcing myself to read any books I’m not enjoying (excluding my class reading of course). Forcing myself to read makes reading less fun and more of a chore than a hobby. 

Reading at night: I want to make it a habit to read a little bit each night before I go to bed. Obviously, with my class readings and homework, this won’t be my reality every night but I want to try to do it as much as I can. 

I’m not going to put any pressure on myself to meet my goal, I just want to be able to read what I plan on reading this year. I think these will help me do that, I hope they help you read more this year too!

Emily Barber

Virginia Tech '23

I am a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in English and Creative Writing. If I'm not reading a book, I'm usually crocheting or tending to my plants.