This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Just starting college, most people are still trying to find who they are as a person, where they fit in and what they want to do with the rest of their life. I definitely came to college clueless on all those things and am even currently still figuring myself out. I have learned so much from just over a year of being at and I would like to think that I’ve grown as an individual since starting college. I had to learn from my freshman year experiences and I am still learning more about myself and how to become a better, more fulfilled person. Reflecting back on my two years here, I will share with you the small growths that I have seen in myself and maybe that will inspire you to do some self-reflecting yourself.

I am comfortable with being alone. For some reason, I used to be really awkward when I was alone in public. I would go out of my way to bring food back to my dorm room so I didn’t have to eat alone or take out my phone, actively avoiding eye contact and conversation. I have learned to accept that being alone is not embarrassing; now I see it as an indicator that someone is independent and confident enough with themselves that they do not always need to have someone with them.  

I am confident enough to say “no” and speak up when I have a problem with something. Freshman year, I was a pushover and that probably was because I wanted people to accept me. I have just learned that if you state your opinions and stand your ground, then the right people will stay in your life.

I am less afraid of stepping out of my comfort zone. I have learned that nothing you want ever gets achieved unless you attempt it. Occasionally, I will still get afraid of trying something new, but I always remember that overcoming this fear is the only way that I will improve as a person.

I don’t keep friendships that aren’t meant to be. The truth is that friends will come and go in your life and that’s okay. The friends that do choose to stay in your life will be understanding that you need to spend time improving yourself before focusing on other people. I have found that true friends are those that are patient enough to stick around even when life gets busy.

I have learned to relax. I was always worried with completing every assignment on time, going to all my classes, studying constantly, and trying to get straight A’s. I quickly learned that’s how you get burnt-out and neglect your needs. I found that relaxation is necessary for mental health and that sometimes taking a day off or going out instead of stressing about school will ultimately be better for you.

I found my love of learning. I slowly have grown to appreciate all my classes, even the ones that I didn’t initially find interesting. I did this by improving my attitude about school. Having a more positive attitude definitely changed my perspective of school in general. I started liking all my classes, even the ones that I won’t use in my future profession and wasn’t initially interested in taking. Finding a major that you actually enjoy taking classes about helps a lot too.

Image Sources:

1/2/3/4

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!