How to Get Rid of a One-Night Stand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Come to find out, pregaming with three jumbo margaritas at El Rod’s and finishing the remnants of your friend’s rail probably isn’t the wisest thing to do. Before you know it, you bolt awake with a splitting headache and a mouth drier than the Sahara desert. What!? Your heart drops and you begin to panic . . . “What in the world happened last night?”

What seemed like a fun evening of partying, has now left your room a disaster and a naked stranger next to you…

You’ve probably never felt more sober after a sh#tshow of a night. Your mind is racing – how do I get this dude out of my house? More importantly who is that? Putting the pieces together has never been so difficult. Is that the guy that bought me that horrid shot? Yuck… I can still taste it…lemon drop?

Anyways, listen up ladies and gentlemen, the best way to get a one night stand to leave is by leaning in and letting them get a whiff of your potent morning breath. Works like a charm and hasn’t failed me yet. Just kidding, let’s go over the dos and don’ts and remember to play fairly.

Rule one. If you are a habitual participant in this situation, get with the program already.

Mention Your Exit Excuse Early
As early as possible, mention that you can’t stay out all night. Before sounding like a “sure” thing, say something to the effect of, “I don’t even know why I’m out tonight, I have a busy day tomorrow.”

Have a Go To Excuse For the Next Day

If he asks what you have to do that’s “ so important” say you have a project to do or a test you have to take. A test on a weekend? Sure, you are enrolled in that online Personal Health class… remember? It’s always best to have something planned the day before but if not, this is when a “white” lie is always acceptable. When you make up an excuse make, be sure to stick to it all night. The last thing you need is your drunken friend blowing your cover. “Totally, take the shot Brit, its not like we have anything to do tomorrow.” Oops. Blew it! Your friends need to be on board for your plan of action. In all seriousness, let them know whom and where you’re going, play it safe.

Plan the night
Before doing the “deed,” figure out the best place for your late night festivities. Suggest going to his house, and then you can leave whenever you’d like and he doesn’t know where you live. Ah-ha, you’re catching on. If he leans for going back to your apartment say your roommate has friends visiting or your walls are paper thin, which should deter him, hopefully!  Remember, heading to his place gives you room to flee if things take a turn for the worse. You leaving is always easier then getting him to leave.

Photo Credit: http://www.askmen.com/dating/love_tip_400/418_tips-for-one-night-stands.html
http://collegerelationships.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/3924249718_1e7f92e326_z.jpg

Mallory Smith is a senior Sociology major at Scripps College, located in sunny Claremont, CA. Born in Denver, Colorado, Mallory spent her time growing up between England, China and The United States. As a result, she loves to travel and explore new places and cultures. In Claremont Mallory is editor of the Life and Style section of The Student Life Newspaper. She also writes for Beyond the Elms, Scripps College’s Career Planning and Resources blog, where she is writing about her soon-to-be journey into the real world. In her free time Mallory enjoys going to art galleries in downtown Los Angeles, hiking, going to the beach and scuba diving whenever she gets the chance.