Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Cherish Your Valentine Based on Their Love Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, everyone seems to be scrambling to find sentimental yet original gift ideas that will show their partner just how much they care. However, what may be your perfect gift may not be the perfect gift for your significant other. 

Gary Chapman, the author of The 5 Love Languages, writes about the five different styles of expressing love and affection, these being: words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, and physical touch. While some actions may scream, “I love you” to you, they may not be as clear to a partner with a different love language. 

Want to win over your S.O. this Valentine’s day? Then it’s time to start speaking their love language. Here are a few gift ideas specific to each love language, guaranteed to make your partner feel loved and appreciated.

Words of Affirmation

People whose number one love language falls under the category of “words of affirmation” may feel most appreciated when their partner expresses their feelings vocally. They want to know exactly how you feel, word-for-word, and don’t want an extravagant gift unless it’s accompanied by a detailed love note. 

If you’re S.O. expresses and receives love through words of affirmation, get them:

1.    A note jar

Yep, you read that right. Time to pull up Pinterest and get crafty. Creating mini love notes and packing them into a mason jar may sound cheesy, but trust me, it will be a gift your partner adores. This gift will truly never stop giving. Day after day, your partner will always have a little note from you to look forward to.  

2.    A Framed picture of the two of you with a note written on the back

Remember that detailed love note I mentioned earlier? Yeah, I’d start writing that now. But let’s take it one step further. Print off your own, or their favorite picture of the two of you, and write that love letter on the back. Frame it, wrap it, and there you go! Every morning your S.O. will wake up, see that picture, and remember all the sweet things you wrote them.

3.    An engraved watch or piece of jewelry 

This gift is perfect for your boujee words of affirmation partner. Buying your S.O. a nice watch, bracelet, or necklace is always a cute gift idea, but adding a personalized message to that item puts it above any other piece of jewelry they have lying around. Now, your partner will always have a piece of you with them.

Acts of Service

Opposite to words of affirmation, for people who value acts of service, your actions will speak much louder than your words. People whose number one love language falls under the category of “acts of service” feel most appreciated when their partner goes out of their way to make his or her life easier.

If you’re S.O. expresses and receives love through acts of service, try:

1.    Bringing them breakfast in bed

That 8 a.m., 9 a.m., or even 11 a.m. class on Friday (yes, Valentine’s day is on a Friday this year) is looking pretty rough. Why not make the day a little more enjoyable and start off their morning with breakfast in bed. Can’t cook? Run to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts and pick up their go-to coffee and breakfast sandwich. Waking up a bit earlier to make their morning a little more bearable is an act of service that won’t go unnoticed. 

2.    Cook them dinner

Yes, I said, “cook.” Time to pull up Pinterest and find a recipe for their favorite meal. Nothing says I love you, quite like a homemade meal… just try not to set your apartment on fire. 

3.    Make a coupon booklet for “the little things”

There are thousands of minor activities throughout the day that your partner may not hate doing, but would appreciate you going out of your way to make their daily tasks a bit easier. Make a booklet of coupons that your partner can redeem anytime they choose. Coupon ideas can include: a ride to or from campus, meeting for lunch in-between classes at a dining hall of their choosing, helping them with laundry, a movie night where they pick the movie argument free, etc. 

Receiving Gifts

Your partner likes presents, plain and simple. If your partner likes to be spoiled with material items, Valentine’s Day is the last day you should skip out on a gift. Just because your significant other likes presents, however, doesn’t mean you have to break the bank.

If you’re S.O. expresses and receives love through receiving gifts, get them:

1.    The classic teddy bear and/or heart-shaped chocolates

Some could argue that the stereotypical stuffed animal and heart-shaped chocolates are overhyped, but I think there’s a reason every store is packed with the lovey-dovey merchandise weeks before Valentine’s Day. Romantic-comedies have made the pair a Valentine’s Day must-have, and if your S.O. is a hopeless romantic, then this is definitely the gift for them.

2.    Make them a playlist

Maybe you aren’t able to drop $30 on a gift this February, but you still want to show your partner that you care. Make them a playlist! Pull up Spotify and create a new playlist filled with every song that reminds you of your S.O. The two of you can listen to it together, and you could even tell him/her why each one is on it. The internet is forever, and your playlist is something your partner can always listen to if they need a reminder of how you feel about them.

3.    Flowers

Another classic, flowers, roses specifically, are the ultimate symbol of love. If you’re looking to show your partner how much they mean to you, a dozen roses will say it all. And while you’re at it, add a small note to the delivery that lets them know how appreciated they are.

Quality Time

People whose number one love language falls under the category of “quality time” feel loved and appreciated when their partner gives them undivided attention. Whether it’s an intimate night in or a fun night downtown, as long as you’re together, your partner will be happy.

If you’re S.O. expresses and receives love through quality time, try:

1.    Planning a cozy night in

Why deal with distractions from the outside world? Your S.O. wants time with you and only you, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t plan something special for Valentine’s Day. Plan to cook or order in their favorite food. Set up her favorite movie on your TV, and add some extra throw pillows and blankets to the sofa. Go out of your way to transform your living room or bedroom into a mini-movie theater. Put in the effort, and your partner will appreciate it.

2.    Organizing a fun activity (cook something together, bowling, hiking, etc.)

Plan an exciting date that the two of you can enjoy. Bowling, hiking, or even cooking gives you both an activity to complete together but also gives you the chance to reignite those first date feelings.

3.    Planning a trip together

Whether it’s a day trip to a nearby city or a weekend out-of-town, planning a trip will give you and your partner plenty of alone time. It’s always exciting traveling to a new place, and with your partner by your side, the two of you will be able to experience a new city together and create lasting memories.

Physical Touch

Your partner is looking forward to all the hugs and kisses that Valentine’s Day has in store. PDA is your significant other’s middle name, and now is the time to shower them with affection. 

If you’re S.O. expresses and receives love through physical touch, get them:

1.    A ~physically focused~ coupon book

Yes, another coupon book. But this one focuses on physical touch. Create a booklet that offers a back massage, a cuddle session, an emergency hug, or anything you feel your partner would appreciate.

2.    Go crazy with the PDA

Sorry to all the PDA hating bystanders, but if you want to make your S.O. feel appreciated this week, then PDA is the way to do it. Hold their hand while you’re walking to class or downtown, kiss them goodbye and hug them hello. Any physical connection is sure to make them feel loved, even if it only lasts a few seconds.

3.    A spa date

Book you and your significant other couple’s massages or plan a luxury spa day. By doing so, you are pampering your partner from head to toe and giving yourself a much-needed self-care day. Everyone wins!

Learning your own love language and your partner’s love language will give you both a better understanding of how you receive and express love. It opens the door to communicate how you can more effectively satisfy each other’s relationship needs, and ultimately strengthens your relationship. 

If you want to find out your love language, take the test here, and don’t forget to send the link to your partner! https://www.5lovelanguages.com/quizzes/

Madeline Quiroz-Haden

Virginia Tech '21

Catch me at Burger 37, binge-watching Arrested Development on Netflix, all while stressing over my latest COMM assignment :)