Homesickness 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We’ve all been there…laying in bed wondering, thinking and missing. Being at Virginia Tech is amazing. Ninety-nine percent of the time it’s an absolute blast, but there are still those lonely nights where thoughts of family, home, and high school friends just won’t seem to go away. But, contrary to popular belief, there are several ways to ease this gut-wrenching feeling.

1. Talk about it. You aren’t the only lonesome in your dorm. Chances are someone you know is feeling the exact same way you are. Talk to them! It helps to get everything out in the open.
2. Communicate with your parents. Call them, text them, e-mail them, whatever works! It’s nice to hear a familiar voice or just get some advice from them. Setting up a time once every few days to talk to them will help ease the pain.
3. Get involved. I’m sure you have heard this phrase an endless number of times, but really GET INVOLVED! It’ll keep you busy and help you keep your mind preoccupied. It’ll also help you to meet more people, which will only make Virginia Tech more of a home for you.

Just remember: you are not alone. I can assure you that just about everyone at Virginia Tech has had a bout with homesickness. It will never fully go away, but by following these simple steps you can reduce the feeling of homesickness and find a home at Virginia Tech!

Megan is a sophomore at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. She is pursuing her B.A. in Communications with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism as well as a B.A. in Spanish Language. She is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. Megan updates her personal blog daily, and had a weekly blog as a Contributing Blogger for Her Campus Virginia Tech during her freshman year. As a dedicated member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, Megan serves as the official blogger. Megan's interest in journalism began with her involvement with her high school's newspaper; where she served as an assistant section editor and a section editor her sophomore and junior years. She was the managing editor her senior year. In her free time, Megan enjoys running and competing in races, reading on her Kindle, and taking photos.