tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Here’s Where You and Your Friends Should Be Planning a Girls Trip This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

If you’re like me and you’ve been unfortunately graced with a summer birthday, junior year can feel a little bittersweet. Now that we’re settling into the semester, I’ve realized all of the goodbyes I’ll have to be making this year. Not to seniors graduating or anyone actually leaving school, but to all the incoming 21 year olds. Watching your friends go off to TOTs for the night when you’re still 20 is kind of like the college version of sending your senior friends in high school off to prom. You hope they have fun, they look adorable and all, but you also wish you could go with them. Luckily, there is an alternative for those of us who won’t be at school to celebrate 21 in Blacksburg- a girl’s trip. This is a perfect excuse to explore a new city with a few of your favorite people and have a unique experience to brag about when you get back to school. To get you started, here are a few recommendations of where to go.

1. Nashville, Tennessee

Nashville is basically Vegas for girls with an added country flavor. This city is a great place to bar-hop, especially if you love live music, mechanical bulls, and traditional BBQ. It’s no wonder that people always dub Nashville as “the bachelorette capital of the U.S.”, as it’s pretty common to see girls in sashes and tiaras celebrating the city with their friends on the weekend.

1. Charleston, South Carolina

Charleston is a perfect mix of city and beach life. After a night in the city’s popular downtown area, you can head over to Folly Beach to tan and kill your hangover in the sun. And for the foodies out there, definitely make sure to try the deluxe french toast at Toast on Meeting Street, the New York Times recommended bread stuffed with apples and peaches- you won’t regret it. 

1. New Orleans, Louisiana

NOLA is a given for girls in their twenties looking to have a fun weekend, but that doesn’t mean you should knock it for being too popular. New Orleans is known for more than just Mardi Gras, it’s exciting year-round nightlife is world-famous. Bourbon Street is filled with live jazz and tourists lining the streets looking to experience the life of this city. During the day, you can explore the influence of French culture in New Orleans, like the colorful and sophisticated architecture or the famous beignets at Cafe Du Monde

Of course, anywhere you go will be fun as long as you’re with your best friends, but these three cities should definitely be on your bucket list. Stay in a group and keep an eye out for each other, but most importantly have fun and make the most of your trip because you’ll never get a chance to relive your 21st birthday. 

Image Sources: 

1 2 3

Kelsey O'Connor

Virginia Tech '21

Current junior double majoring in Professional & Technical Writing and Creative Writing with a Strategic Communication minor. Likes traveling, hiking, running, watching the Hokies win, and drinking coffee at any hour of the day.