This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Halloween is always an exciting time of the year. Everyone gets to dress up in fun costumes, eat lots of candy, go pumpkin picking, and so much more; however, my favorite part of Halloween is watching all of the movies from when I was a kid. I’m going to give you my top ten favorite Halloween movies and where you can rent them for free (or really cheap). Let’s kick off this Halloween movie marathon! 

1. Hocus Pocus 

This is one of my all-time favorite Halloween movies, and seeing as it is the 25th anniversary of the film, what better movie is there to start with than Hocus Pocus? Max Dennison is the new kid in town and he doesn’t believe in a local Halloween story about three witches by the name of the Sanderson Sisters. But that all changes very quickly, after Max lights a single black-flamed candle. This film is continually played on Freeform, but if you don’t have access to cable, you can rent it on Amazon Prime, Itunes, or Youtube for $2.99. 

2. Halloweentown 

Halloweentown is a classic, and the majority of us grew up watching the series every Halloween! Marnie Cromwell feels she’s always been different, but it isn’t until her 13th Halloween when she learns just how different. This film is free on Disney Now! All you have to do is download the app on your Firestick or any device you have! If for some reason that doesn’t work, it is also available for rent on Amazon Prime for $3.99. 

3. Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge

After the first Halloweentown, why not continue through the series? As Marnie learns how to use her magic more every day, she is faced with even worse villains. This film is also free on Disney Now but can be rented on Amazon Prime for $2.99. 

4. Halloweentown High 

We’re not stopping with the second movie! Halloweentown High is unlike the other movies from the series because Marnie organizes a student exchange program to try and merge her two worlds. This film is free on Disney Now, but can also be rented on Amazon Prime for $2.99

5. Return to Halloweentown 

Last but not least of the Halloweentown series is Return to Halloweentown. In this final movie, Marnie is off to college at Witch University in Halloweentown. She learns some fascinating information about the Cromwell family that could change her whole future. This film is free on Disney Now, but can also be rented on Amazon Prime for $2.99. 

6. Twitches 

Twitches tells a story about twin sisters, Alex and Camryn, separated until their 21st birthday, who have to come together and use their new powers to save their family’s kingdom from the forces of darkness. This film is free on Disney Now, but can also be rented on Amazon Prime for $2.99. 

7. Twitches Too

While the Twitches series isn’t as long as the Halloweentown series, it is just as exciting! Since meeting each other on their 21st birthday, Alex and Camryn have learned more about their powers and strengthened their bond. When the two discover that their biological father might be alive, they start on their mission to try and rescue him. This film is free on Disney Now, but can also be rented on Amazon Prime for $2.99. 

8. Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire

Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire was one of my favorites growing up! When the Hansen kids all get grounded, they are super excited when they find out their mom has a date, but that all changes when one of the brothers thinks her new boyfriend could be a vampire. This film is free on Disney Now, but can also be rented on Amazon Prime for $2.99. 

9. The Little Vampire

While you’re on your vampire kick, you should check out The Little Vampire. After moving to Scotland, Tony is struggling to make friends, but that all changes when he meets Rudolph, a kid vampire. This film is FREE on Vudu, but can also be rented on Youtube for $2.99. 

10. The Nightmare Before Christmas 

Last, but certainly not least, The Nightmare Before Christmas is a classic Tim Burton film. Finish up your marathon with Jack Skellington’s adventure into Christmas Town and his plot to take over Christmas. This film is often played on Freeform as well, but if you don’t have access to cable, you can rent it on Youtube, Amazon Prime, Vudu, or Itunes for $2.99. 

All of these movies are classic Halloween movies, and while they aren’t going to scare you to the bone, they will make you feel the festivities of Halloween! I suggest going out and getting some apple cider, making some fun Halloween baked goods, having your best friends over, and watching all 10 of these films to kick off your Halloween week! Have a Spooky Halloween!!

Sources:

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5​ ​

Taylor Sheffield

Virginia Tech '21

I am passionate about traveling, learning about the world, hanging out with my friends, and being outdoors! I love being a Human Nutrition Food and Exercise major as well as Political Science and Psychology minors. Hoping that once I graduate, I can travel the world for a year, and then apply to Physical Therapy school and go on to work as a Women's Health Physical Therapist or for a military hospital.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.