Getting the Most Out of Your Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Although it’s been a while since my freshman year, I have met a plethora of newbies who want to know how to fulfill all of their dreams for their freshman year. Despite everything that’s happening, there are still plenty of ways to get involved on campus.

Find your clubs

With schools slowly opening up, all of the clubs are back to recruiting new and returning students for their clubs. As a student at Virginia Tech, the best way to find a club is through GobblerConnect. With a total of 901 clubs, Virginia Tech has something for everyone. From arts clubs and sports clubs to a chocolate milk drinking club, Virginia Tech has every student covered. Can’t find one you like? You can even try creating your own club!

Greet your dorm neighbors

If you’re feeling like it’s a struggle to meet new people, try meeting the students in your corridor. While it may seem intimidating, most of them are feeling the same as you—keep that in mind when it seems daunting to introduce yourself. Should knocking on dorm doors seem too scary, try suggesting a group activity for the hall. 

go to class

I cannot stress this enough, but going to your class is a great way to make the most of your time. This may seem redundant, but it’s easy to get swept away with staying in and just doing work on Canvas. However, the more time you stay in your dorm, the more you miss out on new opportunities. Every class is a place to learn something new, to meet someone new and to do something new. Take the time you have to get to class early and meet the others; start a study group with them. This is also a perfect time to meet your professors, who are there to help you with whatever you need.

Talk to your advisor

Unsure about your classes? Your major? How to navigate the next four years of your life? Make time to meet with your advisor and figure out what your goals are. Advisors are vital in creating a four-year plan, figuring out if your major is what you want and deciding what classes work for you. They can offer you tons of advice, whether it’s about school or the future. Your advisor can truly help you with practically everything.

don’t forget to have fun

It’s really easy to get swept up in academics. The need to study and remain on top of your education can become overwhelming if you forget to balance your time. Not every night needs to be a study night. Go to the club meeting, go to the party and go to a new restaurant with your friends. These four years is the time to make memories before life becomes all about work. Make sure you find opportunities to create memories with the people you meet at college.

Your freshman year is a door opening with new memories coming in. While it’s important to do well and find your ground, it’s also important to grow your roots and relationships. College can seem very intimidating at first, but everyone is here for the same reasons. They have also been in your boots. Sometimes it’s ok to be “that freshman.” Be lost, ask questions and be a little awkward. In the long run, you’ll find where you belong. Don’t forget that.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.