courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Get Yourself a Best Friend Like Mine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

When I talk about my best friend I tend to get a little sentimental, but here goes!

My best friend and I met last year when we went through sorority rush, and we met by accident. My best friend and I got into the same sorority and from there comes new girl bonding! I was asked to get lunch with a bunch of other new girls but to my surpise, only me and this other girl, who I was frankly scared of, showed up. What I didn’t know at the time was that it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I said hi, sat down, and the rest is history.

Along the paths of life, there are many close friends who are always there for you, but there’s a coveted spot for a best friend, which I am lucky enough to have a few. Maddie and I are the most in sync people I’ve ever met. We connect on all levels and never run out of things to say. It started with lunch, then extended to multiple lunches a week. We ended up in the same sorority family (no surprise there) and are now basically joined at the hip.

Even though we have only known each other for a year, we have built a bond of constantly building each other up, being honest and FaceTiming each other anytime life throws us a curve ball. I am lucky enough to have the kind of not just friend, but sister that will support me wholeheartedly when we come up with crazy ideas. We started and lead a club together, write together and learn from our mistakes together. She is there for me through tears, laughter, sickness and the best days of my life.

I’m convinced that there are some people you come across in life that are supposed to change you for the better, and make you stronger than you ever thought you could be. Maddie is one of those people, and ever since we met it has felt like we were destined to find each other. A lot of the times we even say the same things at the same time which comes as no surprise anymore.

I’m so grateful I met my best friend, and I hope that everyone has the chance to find their true sister.

Also p.s. She’s trying to get Demi Lovato to be her date to date party, help a girl out!

Renee Lamarque

Virginia Tech '21

Travel enthusiast, feminist, adventure loving free spirit