This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The first Virginia Tech home game is upon us and not everyone has tickets. So, what can you do if you find yourself ticketless and unable to attend? Gather some friends and host a watch party.

Here are a few fun ideas to kick off the season.

Check out the tailgates

Just because you can’t go to the game doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the festivities. Go individually or in a group, and head over to lots one through five to meet other Hokie fans as they drink and grill before the big game.

Do it potluck style

One of the best ways to save money is to have all of your friends make a snack for the watch party. Try some fun recipes that Hokies love, like chicken wings using The Inn at Virginia Tech’s Game Day Chicken Wing Dry Rub that alumni swear by.

Play cornhole

This is a tried-and-true classic — and for good reason. Cornhole is the perfect pre-game activity to get everyone excited for the actual game. Set it up in your apartment or right outside of it to enjoy yourself in the fresh air. 

Try the Lane Stadium Lemonade

While I don’t necessarily condone drinking, this is one drink I’m dying to try. Another recipe from fellow alums, this drink will make you feel like you’re back in Lane Stadium with your friends in crowded student seating.

Head downtown to celebrate

After the game, continue the Hokie spirit in downtown Blacksburg to commemorate the game with the rest of the Hokie Nation. If you’re 21, head to PK’s or Top of the Stairs to celebrate with fellow students. 

This Saturday, if you can’t get a ticket, make the most of your football experience with a watch party and enjoy your weekend responsibly.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.