Formals Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It’s here, ladies.  Formals season for Greek life is like a much more fun, and likely alcohol induced, less awkward, high school prom (except now we can skip the bad sparkly gowns). Whether you are taking a guy to your sorority formal or going to a fraternity formal, follow these simple dos and don’ts and you’re sure to have a night to remember (or not remember depending on your drink of choice that night).

The Date
Do: Ask a good guy friend, boyfriend, etc. that you are positive will have a good time, even if you are not by his side the whole evening. You know this guy can carry on a conversation with most any one, leaving you time to take pictures with your sisters or dance with your girls.

Don’t: Completely avoid asking the guy you know really likes you but the feelings are not reciprocated.  If this kid is your plan C, just go solo for this event.  The guy that really likes you but you just want to be friends with will have the wrong expectations going into the event, and when he gets a little liquid courage, things can get real awkward. Also don’t bring the guy that is super sweet but you know won’t be able to carry on a conversation with the other male dates. It never works out.

The Invite
Do: Ask him in a cute way.  Girls, we know how much we liked getting asked in cute creative ways to prom. Now return the favor.  Bake him some cookies or make a big banner to put in his apartment when he comes home from class. It will score you some big points with the guy!

Don’t: Don’t ask him the night before the event.  You want to give him time to plan out everything and you don’t want him to feel like he was a last resort (even though he might have been).

Dress
Do: Pick out your dress far enough ahead of time. Test it out, make sure you don’t have any wardrobe malfunctions or worse yet, don’t have the same dress as another girl in your sorority. I even suggest buying it at home; don’t rely on the local mall to find that perfect dress last minute.

Don’t: Don’t pick the shortest, tightest or most skin-baring dress. Follow this little tidbit of advice from Edith Head, “Your dresses should be tight enough to show you’re a woman and loose enough to show you’re a lady.”

Pregaming
Do: Bring food.  Seriously, everyone will love you! Be a good guest like your mother taught you and come prepared and remember, thank your hostess.

Don’t: Do NOT be that drunk girl. You sure don’t want to be known around your date’s fraternity as the girl who doesn’t know her limit, or worse… can’t hold her liquor.  Have fun but don’t go overboard!

At the event
Do: Be social! Don’t worry about the usual formal drama going around, dance, have fun, and it will be the best formal ever!

Don’t: Don’t glue yourself to your date’s hip.  Make the rounds, talk to his friends, you will get rave reviews later if you can buddy up to his fraternity brothers.

After
Do: If you and you’re date had a great time at formal, continue the fun after. Go downtown, hang out with friends and see where the night takes you!

Don’t: Don’t push it if you know the night’s not going anywhere. If you are already a little too intoxicated or had an awkward time with your date, call it a night there. No reason you can’t end things before the night gets any worse.

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!